Monday, March 30, 2009

numb

I can feel my bones. They creak and groan like a rusty door hinge, no soft connections to ease them. My flesh and muscle, my sinew down to the bone is lifeless. I'm a skeleton walking. I'm numb and cold and hard. Pinch me and I won't make a peep; I won't feel it. I look at the world through hollow cavities, colors and light and movement shocking to my slow-motion thoughts, and I struggle to comprehend. I feel rail thin and brittle, but bloated at once, like a cheek after a dentist's injection, feeling swollen and looking ordinary. I poke myself to make sure I'm ordinary, but feel nothing. My stomach, I can feel my stomach, roiling and curdling, protesting its contents. Belches taste like soap and syrup, making the curdling worse, feeling at any moment I could lose those contents, knowing that it wouldn't make it better if I did. My head is full of air. I'm a bubble, a dry bubble ready to pop, releasing nothing but dust. Questions float by me like dandelion seeds in the wind, and I'm mesmerized by their grace but lost by their meaning. I'm surprised I can form semi-complete thoughts, but the surprise is dulled, like a rubber mallet on splintering wood.

Scrubbing shampoo onto my scalp this morning, I felt sleepy but fine for a Monday. When I opened my eyes, the shampoo bottle had escaped my sight, unless I turned my head sideways to see it. My husband brought me my pill, my little sweet release from the pain, that find the coldest floor in the darkest room, curl up and try not to sob because it makes it worse pain, and I swallowed knowing the day was lost anyway. That sweet release pushes me into a world of fog and dullness, stupidity and slowness, brittle and cold, like freezing rain on what should have been a bright and sunny day. I welcome it and hate it. 

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you captured a migraine so perfectly, even making it sound poetic, though it's anything but.

    I had one over the weekend, and kept wondering why my mind's resolutions always seem so violent and extreme.

    You've reminded me to call my doc about new meds today. Thank you! And I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch seems insufficient after that, I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get better soon. I used to have dreadful migraines, but they've disappeared with age - one of the few benefits.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so recognize that description of a migraine. The pills that used to work for mine, no longer do. I'm glad for you that you can find relief, and hope that you have found it by now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing writing describing pain. Truly beautifully written about a place 0f ugliness...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your description in that first paragraph is ultimate beauty of words. So sorry you are feeling that pain again. Do whatever you need to find peace. Healing mercies to you.

    By the way, my son is doing well. He's anxious to come home which will be in mid-May (home to the base in KY).

    ReplyDelete