Thursday, March 26, 2009

too good to be true?

Things in my life have been going very smoothly lately.

I'm a firm believer that we make our own luck, and as a part of that, our reactions to events in our lives dictate greatly our overall way of being. If you're naturally negative, even the smallest disturbance can turn a whole day sour, and a bunch of sour days can lead to a depression. While if you're positive, it takes something huge to upset your day, and even the largest of events can still only affect you as much as you let it. So I try very hard to be a positive person, not sweating the small stuff and such. It doesn't always work. I am human.

This is a new revelation for me, relatively new anyway, contained to the last couple of years. So perhaps this new way of thinking and being has me confused, because it seems to me as if nothing "bad" has happened lately. Oh, there have been small things, like complaining clients, slight sicknesses, traffic congestion, etc.-- the kinds of things that a lot of people let affect their mood too much. (Road rage? Really? Just put in a good cd. Problem solved.) Maybe because I'm not letting these small things affect me anymore I feel as if it's eerily quiet around here. 

I've struggled in my life. That sounds so cliche-- who hasn't? Lately, though, I'm content: job, husband, family, health, finances... it's all going so well. Which makes me think (old me, the me that would focus on how wrong and sad and screwed-up the world is) that this is just the calm before the storm, the build-up to the let-down.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my neighbor is dying. I can't help but think, what did he do to deserve that? What did his precious family do? Nothing. I suppose bad things just happen. How can they just happen, though, how can you be floating along, white sails facing the sun, and then bam your husband is seriously ill and bam he's dead, you're alone, with four boys under age ten. 

As solid as I am sometimes, something like that would ruin me. I feel it, I know it would. I can't lose my husband or my parents. I value my positivity because I know no matter what happens, I'm still me and I'm still ok... that is until I think about the worst thing that could happen. Me includes the three of them because I'm not me without them, Ok means having them in my life on a daily basis. How are humans capable of understanding and negotiating that much grief without completely crumbling under the weight of it, like a sandcastle at high tide?

But that's a worst-case scenario, and that's old me thinking about all the bad things that could happen instead of focusing on what actually is happening. I guess that's the trick, live it up while you can, absorb all the good and joy into yourself, like water into a sea sponge, while it's here and you've got your fingers wrapped around it.

That makes me want to go wrap my fingers and my arms around that husband of mine. It's almost five o'clock, isn't it?

5 comments:

  1. Nice to have that positive attitude.. clearly it works for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good to be positive about the life you have, and to see what makes it so good. Positive thinking breeds more positive thoughts and it will bring with it more happiness from everyone around you. If you feel negative about your life you'll find you will be alone with your thoughts.

    Have a happy and positive weekend with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said the calm before the storm. My mom lived her whole life pointing out the negative of any situation. It was overwhelming to be in her prescense. I had a breakdown of sorts when my youngest was about 18 months old. Most of our friends thought it was because I had 5 children before I was 25 (not as bad as it sounds, I had twins). Therapy revealed that it wasn't the children at all. I was afraid I was becoming my mother. With that revelation, I now recognize my daily battle is to definitely NOT be my mother. Take the good with the bad and appreciate the good all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This deep-thinking will serve to heighten the greatness of all you're thankful for. :) I'm like you. I can't not think about those what ifs. I just remind myself others have gotten through the worst of heartaches, and if I'm called to do such a thing, I'll try my best. Here's praying I don't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that we all want to find happiness but sometimes it's deeply buried under piles of nonsense. The effort to find it can be tiring and we can often give up. I know that I can do this, but I do try to keep hold of what I've got, even although it can feel very thorny sometimes.

    ReplyDelete