Monday, March 23, 2009

the purpose of my life

We decided last night, while watching some terrible Queen Latifah movie about dying before truly living, that we need to plan ourselves a vacation. We keep putting money into our house or our garden or our retirement plan, and we're not doing what we really want to do, what we say we're always going to do, the reason we're not having kids, and the reason we married each other-- we want to see the world. 

We lived in London for over a year just after we got married. While there, we saw Oxford and Paris, and I got to go to Lagos, Portugal. I wish I could go back in time and make us travel more while we were there. At least Ireland and Scotland. But in reality, we were poor, and we were lucky to take the trips we did. 

I'll be 30 in 2012, so that gives us three years to plan an amazing birthday trip for me. I just picked that date because three years seems like enough time to save, not because I think 30 deserves any kind of special treatment. Really, it should be ignored. These late twenties have been hard enough. I think I'll never get any older than 29 anyway. I refuse.

So after throwing darts at the maps in our heads, we decided on either Italy (possibly to include Vienna as well) or Fiji.

Two completely different trips there-- one full of culture and food and history, not to mention walking and catching trains, the kind of vacation you need a vacation after, or the other consisting of sitting on a beautiful beach and having a native bring me fruity drinks, the most adventurous day being a slow, wandering hike to a picnic at a waterfall. 

So which will it be? I'm torn, completely torn. I feel lucky to have this choice at all, but I want to make the right one. I feel like we'd be copping out if we went for Fiji, like we're "wasting" money going to sit on some beach when there are perfectly fine beaches 6 hours from here. But not tropical, lush, exotic beaches. But I also don't want to be completely exhausted after our trip, plus I've seen Italy, and although I'd love to go back, maybe I should see something I haven't seen first? But my husband's never been there and I know he'd love it. And if we could add Vienna and possibly Prague...

I'm just glad it's really going to happen. I'm going to open a new savings account today.

3 comments:

  1. They both sound wonderful! You'll have to whip up a pros vs. cons list, for sure. :)

    I don't know, just in the few months since I turned 30 myself, I've found more clarity. I know it sounds trite, but there's this newfound worth and self-realization I've discovered. I think I'm really thankful for my last birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mind turning 30 and 40, 50 didn't bother me at all, but I am thinking that I will be 60 in only 4 years. I am almost twice your age and yet I feel in you a kindred spirit. Save lots of money and do both trips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very exciting to have a trip to look forward to - good luck on your plans!

    I think celebrating each milestone is important and individual to how you feel at the time. When I turned 30 I sent flowers to my Mom with a note that said, "Thank you for having me 30 years ago." My life was a gift and I wanted her to know that. I can't remember anything special about 40 but at 50 I felt on top of the world, empowered, strong in belief that I could do anything I wanted to do. Now I'm nearing 60 and it is scaring me. How did I get here so soon? (I should write a post on this, shouldn't I?)

    I love the way you write, so honest and it just flows.

    ReplyDelete