Tuesday, March 3, 2009

short and sweet

I'm in love with my new blog layout. It only took me a day and a half to finish. Ha. If you've visited me in that time, no telling what you saw, but here it is, in its simple finality.

We're having homemade potato soup and broiled tomato sandwiches for dinner, hoping that tonight might be one of the last really cold nights we have for a while. Come on, Spring.

Edited post-dinner to add:
Those tomato sandwiches were so good I could have eaten five of them. Here's the recipe if you're interested. They'll be even better this summer with my home-grown tomatoes. I can't wait!

Cut about two-three tomatoes into thin slices. Mix 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons olive oil together in a small bowl. Add the tomatoes to marinate. In another bowl, mix 2 or 3 tablespoons of mayo, 1 tsp of Italian seasoning (parsley, oregano, etc.), 1 tsp of black pepper, and 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese. Spread the mayo on lightly toasted bread (about 4 pieces), add the tomato slices on top of that, and sprinkle a little more cheese on the top of the tomatoes. Put under the broiler in the oven 3-5 minutes until the cheese melts and starts to brown. Enjoy!

I want another one right now.

2 comments:

  1. As soon as I have posted my comment, I'm marching out to the kitchen and making myself one of those sandwiches.

    Yum!!!

    Thank you, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Yum! We grew up making simple open-face tomato sandwiches. Toasted bread, a slice of cheese and sliced tomatoes on top, salt & pepper, put under the broiler until the cheese bubbles. Sounds similar but I like the extra flavors you add & marinating the tomatoes. My mouth is watering - hope I can find some decent tomatoes. Nothing like summer ones! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete