Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Adventures of Bub, Chapter One: The Deerslayer

Bub, known slayer of all trespassers big and small, spots his newest foe: the Deer. "Don't let the cuteness fool you," he thinks. "They are in our yard, nonchalantly nibbling on our grass... look at them, no idea what trouble they're in for now that I have spotted them."

He's off like lightning, growling fiercely and and barking as loudly as he can manage. He's so quick on his muscular little legs he becomes a black and white blur. The frightened deer hardly have time to react before he's on them-- they turn white-tail and run for the cover of the woods. "Out, out, out of my domain! Before I eat you! I will protect my mother!"
And so the deer hop and scramble away from the fearsome Bub into the woods, only their bright tails giving away their location as they melt into the trees. "Yeah, you're lucky there's this black barrier here, or I would have you, I would. I'll stand here and bark for another five minutes, pacing this line, just to make sure you're really good and gone."

Once the Deerslayer decides the coast is clear and does his usual business (or maybe once he forgets the deer where ever even there) he saunters back up to the door, full of pride and energy. "Ok, Mommy, I'm ready to come in now! Woof! Where are you?"

3 comments:

  1. That's hilarious! Benny does the exact same thing.. except his deer are actually squirrels.. and mourning doves.. and his shadow.. and pretend intruders.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you gave Bub a treat for his bravery! A daft rabbit had her babies under our shed in the backyard of our previous home. Our little Emmy (6 lbs) wormed her way under the shed and pulled the trespassers out one by one, giving them to our St. Bernard to watch until she and her husband dog, Oscar, broke their necks (gross, I know). This earned her the title of Emmy the rabbit slayer. I will have to include this story in my other blog-maybe not, since the blog is for my four year old grandson. Check it out-there is a link on my blog.

    ReplyDelete