I don't look like anyone famous either. I've heard Geena Davis before, but her jaw is too square and her mouth too wide. I've heard Angelina Jolie, but that's solely for my lips and nothing else. Yes, I'm "blessed" with full lips, lips that make other women jealous, until I tell them how many men have made crude comments to me because of them. Men. I won't go into particulars there. I've also gotten Jessica Biel (in her 7th Heaven days, not as she is now as a Maxim and GQ pin-up) and Scarlet Johansson. As you can see, none of these women look alike themselves, but, like with my family, I vaguely resemble parts of them yet none as a whole. I will say it's nice to be compared to such beautiful women.
A few years ago, an old friend told me he was watching Law and Order SVU-- the seasons they play on USA, not the new ones-- and that I look exactly like the DA. I don't watch that show and so didn't know if it was true, but I didn't think anything of it, believing looking her up would probably lead me to another Davis, Jolie, Biel, etc. and nothing closer. This weekend, out of the blue a different friend, who doesn't know the first friend, told me the same thing, and I became curious.
So I looked her up. Her name is Diane Neal.

I look nothing like her.
At least, I don't think I do. We all have different interpretations of the way we look, we all see ourselves as more beautiful or more ugly, more angular or more pudgy, more imperfect than we really are. We see ourselves in pictures in 2-D or in the mirror, and our first thought is what's wrong or what's out of place. We're so used to seeing ourselves we can't see anymore. We've grown up and old with our faces and our features, unable to see them the way other people see us, especially people new to our lives. Even seeing myself on video, all I focus on is my weak chin line or my messed up hair or the idiotic things I'm saying, and I never actually see myself. I don't think it's possible to see oneself, not completely-- there's too much of us in the way.
But I asked my husband, and he didn't see me in her either. Maybe in video, I thought, something about the way she moves or talks makes her like me. I still didn't see it. It makes me wonder, how do people really see me? What do people truly think of me? But getting the truth out of people is impossible. Not next to impossible, but impossible.
I do wish I had her red hair. I've always wanted red hair.
It is always interesting to see things through someone elses eyes. My twins are 33 and have never looked alike. My daughter has dark wavy hair and is the image of her dad. Her features are very distinct, like her dad's and her physique is like my husband's mom. Her twin brother looks like MY dad! He has my mousy brown hair, straight as a board. He did get my husband's brown eyes, but when you see him next to pictures of my dad as a young man it is downright creepy. I think I look more like my dad than my mom, but my son doesn't look like me. The strangest thing is that people will say that Jill looks like me! We laugh when we hear that, but you have to wonder what they saw to make them say that. Perhaps a mannerism that duplicated mine? Don't know, could be. I guess we always assume that others see the same thing we see when looking at the same thing......
ReplyDeleteSo what do you look like? Would love to see who you are! Go for it!
ReplyDeleteMe, too. Show us your picture! :)
ReplyDeleteAnd for what it's worth, that picture of Diane Neal doesn't look anything like Diane Neal, either! Did you cruise through several?