I woke up this morning happy that it's Thursday, which is a change from last week, to say the least. 1) I got another raise. These raises are extra-helpful when business is down at my husband's mostly commission-based job.
2) A house full of animals. This one I say through slightly gritted teeth. I'm trying hard to remember today all the joy they bring into my life after the crazy morning I had with them. Bub with his stretching groans and playful eyebrows, how he always wants to snuggle with me, and has been a faithful best friend for seven years. Eliza, the kitty, the momma, who wants to kiss our noses when we come home every night, who loves my husband like he was her baby. And Daisy, who's only temporary while my parents are out of town-- her muffled growling with her mouth full of toys, her soulful eyes, and her love-me-love-me personality are impossible not to adore. Even when they're loud or dirty or in my face, I still love all of them.
3) Air conditioning!! It's 98 degrees outside, no chance of rain (aka sweet relief). The only time I go out is to walk to my car, where I blast the a/c constantly, and to get the mail. I practically run to keep my time outside to a minimum. I forget every winter what 98 with 80% humidity feels like. Must be some sort of coping mechanism my brain has developed (for which I am also grateful).
4) My naturally high metabolism. I'm hungry all the time so I eat all the time, but I tend to hover around the same weight. My boss has to diet constantly and work out too. Of course I eat more healthily than some, with my natural inclination towards nuts and whole wheat stuff rather than processed food. But I do enjoy sweets. I'm going to have trouble if this metabolism of mine ever slows down, which I'm sure it will.
5) A good movie. The other night we watched an old Jimmy Stewart movie, last weekend we saw Up, and we're talking about going to see the Hangover tonight. A good movie can make us laugh or cry, but the most important thing it can do is make us forget our own lives, our problems or worries, for a little while. For this reason I do not like movies with sad endings or even bittersweet-- I will never see Marley and Me or that new movie about the little girl with cancer. No, there are enough terrible and sad things that happen in real life. I watch movies to escape, not to be reminded of them. So I'm grateful for all the good movies that make me think, remind me of how wonderful and surprising life can be, and most of all that bring some joy into my life.
Again, I am grateful for Thursday and for your post. I look forward to them.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the metabolism and movies:) I watched the Hangover online and it's okay. I think Old School is better. Away we Go looks interesting and happy.
Be well
Yay! Congrats on the raise... I know you had been sticking it out in hopes of one soon.
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain on the heat, 103 here today, yuck! But I too, have a healthy, healthy appreciation for my A/C. I seriously do not know how people live without it.
Glad to hear your week this week is better. :)
I am a recent discoverer of your blog and I like it a lot. So this Thursday I for one am grateful for that.
ReplyDelete