Tuesday, June 16, 2009

leftovers

My office is empty except for one other person, the new guy, here to answer tech questions. I'm here for all other questions. What was a whirlwind of activity this morning suddenly ceased at 10 a.m. when everyone pulled away, off to New Orleans to an industry convention. I feel a little left behind, passed by, a little left over, like day-old casserole pushed to the side. But it's ok. Some casseroles are better a day old. And someone has to watch this place. They all call me the Momma around here (meaning I clean up their "messes" and prevent them from happening in the first place), so who better to watch the house while the children go out to play? 

My coworker's office is all the way in the back, and I'm all the way in the front. Occasionally I hear a squeaking chair or a cough. Otherwise nothing but the sound of my fingers tapping away here, the boop noise when my husband sends me an instant message, or rarely the chirp of a new email. I do have to lead a software training at 1, which should be interesting as it's not something I normally do. Fully capable, just not practiced.

Husband and I started our tiling project last night. I will add a post full of pictures when it's done, start-to-finish. We're not very good at the whole measuring thing. When we added a brick border to our flower beds last spring, we over-bought and now have about ten extra feet of brick just sitting in a pile at the back of our house. These tiles were even harder to measure, in 13" x 13" sheets, going in odd places like 4" wide and 3' tall sections on either side of the fireplace. How many sheets does that take?? Apparently not as many as we ordered as it looks like we will have two full sheets plus a few random bits left over after we're done. We figured we would have just bits of one left when we bought them. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

I can't decide what I want for lunch. Fast food? No. A cheese sandwich from the fridge? Boring. A smoothie? Not enough. My coworker/friend brought mac and cheese, homemade, and left it in the fridge for me. Other people's leftovers are always better than my own. I think I should go heat some up.

2 comments:

  1. My diet doesn't include macc & cheese so please enjoy it for me too. I know how you feel when everyone leaves for something like that - maybe next time you can go, too. They can always hire a temp to answer phones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made mac and cheese last night for the kids! My mac and cheese is super yummy, I know this cause Gavin told me so. I have the daughter of my work campers staying to help me keep four eyes on Gavin and this child does not eat vegetables! Her idea of meat is burgers and hotdogs and salad is out of the question! I am running out of ideas for her, we eat lots of salads.

    ReplyDelete