I was thinking this morning as I was getting dressed about how different I am, inside and out, from just 6 or 7 years ago. Getting ready for class back then, I would have pulled out the first clean smelling t-shirt I could find-- tight fitting vintage baby tees (with no bra as I'm barely a B) was all I wore. I loved a good mini skirt, the shorter the better, with fishnet stockings and tall biker boots. I had this one olive green skirt with buckles all the way up one side. My arms were always covered in rubber bangles or tied up with ribbons or leather cuffs. I loved pink and black or red and black or blue and black, but always black. My hair was cut off at my chin, asymmetrically, and black-black, blue-black.This morning I put on a turquoise loose fitting tank top (with a bra), a black cotton skirt, and black strappy beaded sandals. No jewelry other than my diamond stud earrings and my trusty watch. So I guess I've just toned it down. I've toned everything down. I needed to-- living at full volume was sucking out all my energy.
But in ode to who and what I used to be, to the raging, angry, and wild girl, the one who'd cut and dye her hair without a second thought with her own hands, walk outside in her underwear, go without a bra to work, would protest inequality and injustice with every breath, and chase any guy she wanted before he could chase her, I give you Bikini Kill with Rebel Girl.
I think at some point we all leave behind our free spirit. Life requires a little more attention, unfortunately. Just keep her in reach, you never know when she might come in handy!
ReplyDeletelol ...me too! ...yes just about 6 years ago {which seems like yesterday} I was doing all the things I regret now ...lol ...love the outfit!
ReplyDeleteI once heard that our bodies change significantly every 7 years. Whether that's true or not, I imagine that much of the rest of us goes through some of those changes as well.. I only started wearing the bra with my tank tops a few years ago. ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm still waiting to go through my rebellious phase. Wore black at lot in my 20s, then discovered navy blue as an alternative. I'm such a conformist.
ReplyDeleteIt's strange to me that I am the oldest child of a teen Mom and I pretty much raised her and my little brothers with the help of my Grandmother and I didn't meet my free spirit until my sons were almost adults. Having boys who are kind of prude about their Mom, I have only taken her out when I had bits of time away from home. I had to have rules and conformity to make sense when I was a young women and becoming a Mother...fugetaboutit. Sometimes I'm sure that even though it has been a subtle change, they must wonder...wtf? I talk to them about how my ideas, attitude and beliefs have shifted with my time on this Earth. I was such a freak, in my early teens I wanted to dress in the 1940s style. I wish I had more free spirited adventures and regrets from my youth. I have some, but not enough.
ReplyDeleteit sure does take a lot of energy to live loudly! I think as we get older our spirits grow and develop and we find ways to be free and creative in ways that don't take so much out of us. After all, we have to be happy too :)
ReplyDelete