Friday, June 26, 2009

the brink of despair

I think it's a condition of being human, of being flawed and imperfect, of being placed into a spinning world with other flawed, imperfect beings, circling each other in this dance, trying not to step on toes and as a result crashing into one another, that causes all of us at certain points of every day to be pushed to the brink of despair.

There are times I'm sitting minding my own business, and I realize, somewhere deep inside, back in the depth of my soul somewhere in the dust and out of the light, that I could weep. About what, I don't know. If I let go and felt what I really felt... I worry about doing this. I worry about any of us doing this, about knocking down our walls and truly feeling anything. I don't think humans are built for it. We all know it, that feeling that if we just let go, we might never be able to return to what was, so we grasp at the walls and pull at the ropes of who we are, trying desperately not to fall into that trap.

I am a happy person, so I wonder sometimes where this despair comes from when it surfaces. I know where it really comes from, that it's a symptom of being human, of the loss and anger and disappointment we all have, but what causes it to surface I don't know. 

You'd be lying if you told me you don't know what I mean. Or you're lying to yourself about what you feel, about what that tiny voice in the back of your throat is really saying sometimes, what it's really screaming through the cotton you've stuffed in your ears. There's no such thing as happiness all the time. If you're not sad, if you're not in pain, a least a little, even at the best of times, you're either not paying attention or you're numb and feeling nothing. 

Today is a thoughtful day. My days have names; when I wake, they introduce themselves to me one by one and take my hand as I step out of my bed and into the morning. When I close my eyes at night they fade into the blackness, sometimes returning sooner than I hope, sometimes disappearing for longer than I'd like. Thoughtful has not graced me with her presence much lately as Determination and Exhaustion are more forceful characters and tend to push her out of the way. I'm thankful for her success today.

12 comments:

  1. Tricky isn't it - we know people who are happy all the time are missing out. Why don't they see that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....this post is what i needed to hear. it gives me validation for those days when i feel that despair. Normally, I am happy and optimistic. But there are those days when I just want to cry. There are those days when I wish my life had something more. There are those days that I dont understand why. But I know Ill go to sleep and wake up with a better attitude. Sometimes you just have to feel that despair and embrace it and work through it. Thanks for posting this...Hit a cord with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe that little voice at the back of your mind knows that everything changes, constantly. There is no holding on to anything. The only sure thing in our world is change. Hmmm I feel a post coming on..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too needed to hear this. I think sometimes I even pressure myself to "appear" happy all the time. Like, I'm not allowed to have feelings that I can't explain. Thanks for being so candid and sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay...i had to do a post about it...linked to you...
    http://krissareann.blogspot.com/2009/06/days-of-despair.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly what you mean, and often that feeling can strike when we are at our happiest. It is the feeling of, "Is this all there is? Might there be more?"

    Despair is the flip side of happiness, and often they can co-exist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe in equal and opposite reactions, so if I'm happy, then it means that I'm bound to be sad about something sometime soon. I rarely accept happiness as an unconditional state. And I would never describe myself as happy, just not unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You seem to have struck a chord.......

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tend to do random self destructive things if I don't let some of my despair out. I have learned to embrace it, to hold it close like a long lost friend. It too is a part of me. It's what makes up the wonderful, crazy, multifaceted person I am. So every now and then I will turn up the nostalgic music, pick up a favored book that will start the waterworks, or turn on an episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Then I grab a box of tissues and wallow in it. I always feel lighter afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sometimes we just need to cry for times gone by, love not given, things unsaid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully stated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know exactly what you mean. There are moments I feel that deep sadness without any real reason for it. It cuts to the bone and I can't figure out why or where it came from. Maybe it's regret? Maybe a moment where the world closes in and the most positive person can see the dark. You made me think.

    ReplyDelete