One's first love is always perfect until one meets one's second love. ~ Elizabeth Aston
When I was seventeen, I went to Europe with about 14 classmates for our Senior trip. I've lived a charmed life, in that vein anyway. I wrote about the plane ride here in this post, Richard being the key character, the boy who, by Paris, had mended himself to my side, and who became the most important person in my life for the next four years.
I ran into him on Facebook the other night. An old high school friend contacted me, and there he was, green eyes and curly hair, on her wall saying hello to her. I hadn't seen his face since Christmas day of 2003. I broke up with him early that fall, but when Christmas rolled around weakness overtook me and I went to see him. Something about meeting him there, at his parents house, finding that the old feelings were gone and replaced by awkwardness and uncertainty, that even the pain of the split was numbed on my end, let me know that was it, that was the end, this was the last.
There had been love between us, I think. It may have been more desperation, more loneliness, that brought us together though. We were kindred spirits, but only in our negative qualities, feeding off of each other. I lean towards the thoughtful, the sullen, the quiet and pensive, as did he, but I know now that never meant I had to be depressed. He was depressed. He was a cutter, and a tantrum thrower. I did all I could to make him happy, but he brought me down to my knees with his sadness. I ran as soon as I could run. I did love him, I loved what he could be if he just could. But I loved myself more in the end.
I met my husband while I was still dating Richard. I wrote about this meeting in this post. The more I got to know my husband, the more I came to see what I could have, and I began to fall for him even while still with Richard. To tell the truth, my relationship with Richard had become a shell by then, fragile and begging to be broken. But I thought that's what life was.
I don't wonder what would have happened if I had not gone to Europe, if I had not spent those years with Richard. He brought me to my husband. I wish Richard well, if that's possible for him. I do wonder where I would be if I wasn't strong enough to be the one to push at the cracks of what we were, to jump ship when I saw the boat sinking. Drowned, I suppose.
There's something so disarming about seeing a face you haven't seen in years, a face you used to see every day, that meant the world to you, that was the last thing you saw at night and the first thing in the morning for years, that you thought you'd continue to see forever. Rushing tingles, swelling scars, and trails of tears, love like a ghost haunting your memory, shadows only of what once was there.
What once was there in no way compares to what now is here. What now is here is written here.
"Rushing tingles, swelling scars, and trails of tears, love like a ghost haunting your memory, shadows only of what once was there"
ReplyDeleteWOW! I love that line - very well said.
I'm so glad you were able to find someone so much better suited for you :)
I went back and read both of the relevant posts. The whole thing is wonderful. And so eloquently written.
ReplyDeleteWho hasn't looked back and wondered if they would undo something (or someone) if they could? Like you, I'm thankful for where I've been, no matter how painful, for it brought me to where I am.
Remember your first comment on my blog---something to effect of having similar lives, just being different.
ReplyDeleteAgain, I felt like you had written what I am experiencing right now. Different circumstances, but in the present for me, too.
Thanks. Be well.
I read your comment over on MLS about comments and their ebb & flow. Having come to see what the fuss was about, it seemed only right that I add to your numbers for today. Lovely piece of writing.
ReplyDeleteWise and beautiful post, as always.
ReplyDeleteI had composed a lovely and meaningful comment and the internet decided to throw it away. Now I have too much anger to say all the truly wonderful things to you. Oh, and I loved this post!
ReplyDeleteThis was a lovely blog entry Scarlet. I have so many blogs to keep up with , that it seems I have not given yours nearly the love it deserves. You have a wonderful way with words and I really liked how this entry came together.
ReplyDeleteAnd it sounds like you are so very, very happy with your husband and that is great to hear! I'm so used to hearing negative things about relationships and marriage so it's a nice change!
Hello,
ReplyDeleteI can relate to this. Thats the first thing that came to my mind. How beautifully worded and pieced together.
Even i did meet my first love sometime ago. I realised much later that instead of the euphoria i expected to feel at that time, what i ended up was looking for my husband so that he would not feel left out in a new crowd of people known well only to me. The fact that i thought of him even as i was coming face to face with someone i used to feel so so much for.
I guess i really love my guy now. Your quote is so apt for me - "One's first love is always perfect until one meets one's second love. ~ Elizabeth Aston"
Thanks.
Vrinda
Thanks for your comment. I have just read five of your posts and love 'em. Especially this one.
ReplyDeleteLong time ago I went thru a 'first love' spell. Unlike Elizabeth Aston's quote above I have never had a greater love than Stella, in my mind that is.
For many years I yearned to hear her speak my name again; to say 'Hello Stella'; to just see her face. Never had the courage, until about ten years ago. Found her after some web searching. That day was so exciting. Just to know she was still around. I wanted to fly down immediately to see her. Stupid, yes. Immature, yes. After calming down I wrote a letter. And got a reply!
Sorry, I'm rambling on too much. But your story set me off again. Stella died 4 years ago. It doesn't alter my way of thinking of her. I wrote about my young and foolish time in this posting: http://chroniclesofacroydonboy.blogspot.com/2009/05/dear-stella-letter.html
Phil