Like this.Husband and I bought an exercise bike on Sunday. We did not, however, remember the 4 D batteries that run the magnetic resistance feature, but it's still ride-able until I get back to the store. After about an hour of "which screw? where? there?" it was finally assembled, and I rode twenty minutes on Sunday night, pumping the pedals while also pumping two-pound hand weights to re-tone my arms. I rode again last night for about thirty minutes. So far the only problems are the two bruises on my rear end from the very uncomfortable seat. A pillow fixed that.
I suppose it's a condition of nearing 30 and of having an office job that that same rear end of mine, bruises and all, has seemed to have spread in the last year or so. I still fit in the same pants, technically, but I'm not comfortable in them, and I appear to be spilling out in places I used to smoothly glide over. I also noticed while retiling my fireplace these last couple weeks that while scrubbing, my upper arms sway a little bit harder than they used to do. We can't have that.
Husband has gained a bit of a "beer belly," and though it was cute and funny at first to watch him stand in front of the mirror, grab his stomach and growl at it, it's not making him go back to his fit and trim self. Time to do something, now before it's too late, before I start buying one size bigger (then two, then three) and he has to make new holes in his belts.
We debated an elliptical or a stationary bike or a treadmill or a combination therein. Treadmills are hard on the knees and ankles so those were ruled out fairly quickly. We picked up the stationary bike because you can get a nicer one for less money than you can an elliptical, but we might get one of those too, so we can exercise at the same time.
I know you're thinking, Just go outside! or Join a gym! No, those options were discussed and eliminated. My climate does not permit outside exercise, unless you're a masochist-- it's either blazingly hot or achingly cold, or raining, no matter the time of day. Here we get about two nice weeks a year, and two weeks do not make much of an exercise regime. Gyms are for people who like to show off, who wear makeup to work out, who go out and spend a small fortune on designer sports bras and tennis shoes, who blast their iPods because they can't just be alone with their thoughts for half an hour. I rode in a t-shirt and Garfield boxers last night, barefoot, eyes closed, alone in my world. It was peaceful, serene, and invigorating.
In other news:
The ENT agrees that I do not have sinus or allergy problems. He said an imitrex, which is what ultimately killed my 4-day headache two weeks ago, would not have helped if it were just a sinus/allergy headache as those and migraines are two separate causes that have two separate solutions. So he's referring me to a neurologist. I'm a little bit back-where-I-started-from then, but at least I know now I'm not crazy. Husband might still argue with that.
Yay for your new exercise equipment! That looks fun! I have a treadmill, that I sadly rarely use. I need to get my butt in gear and get to it. I know all too well about the expanding rear end.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm so with you on the gym thing. I don't get those girls who get done up to go sweat. Weirdos.
I have a treadmill.....in the barn. Remember that is my forbidden zone as it is love of my life's little hide-a-way. I would never make it to my treadmill, anyway. I would be compelled to clean up his mess!
ReplyDeleteWill your insurance pay for the consult? At least you have ruled out one thing and a pretty big thing at that. Make sure you check the references on the neuro!
Your new bike sounds great! I like the idea of a quiet in-home ride.
ReplyDeleteCrossing my fingers for the neurologist visit!
We had an exercise room in our last two houses, and I miss it terribly! It is wonderful to exercise at home. (I really miss it.) Oh, I already said that.
ReplyDeleteHope the doctor can finally give you a diagnosis.