Heather, a sweet Southern girl like myself over at ...and now I'm a grownup, was kind enough to pass on this Honest Scrap award to me. I get to list ten random but honest things about myself. And then I'll pass it on! Here we go...I've read all seven Harry Potter books and I absolutely love them. Especially Hermione. And Dobby.
I have a shoe obession. I wear a different pair nearly every day of the week just for fun. I really love ballerina-type flats in funky colors, even more so if they're pointy-toed. And I don't wear heels unless I absolutely have too, which leads me to this...
I'm tall. I'm at least 5'9" although I won't look when they measure me at the doctor's because I don't want to know. I've always been a little self conscious about it, probably because I went to a very small high school where I was the tallest girl and guys didn't ask me out because I was so tall. But I don't like heels because they're uncomfortable too.
I hate to clean. I hate doing dishes, I hate cleaning counters, I hate dusting, I hate vacuuming, and I especially hate cleaning the bathroom. I will do anything to get out of it. I'd rather go outside and hoe up weeds in the heat for an hour than spend 20 minutes scrubbing a bathroom. Yuck.
I have a pretty good singing voice. I used to sing solos in the church I grew up in especially while in high school. I sing in the car now, that's about it.
My favorite flower is a blue hydrangea because my Granny used to grow them, and I just absolutely love that bright blue. It's my favorite color. Second favorite would be a purple iris.
I'm a vegetarian and have been since I was eighteen. Some of you know this but not all. I gave up red meat first because I never really liked it anyway, plus it takes so much energy and money to grow a cow for meat, and those resources could be put towards many other more efficient uses. You could feed thirty-two people with the grain it takes to create one hamburger, which feeds one. Plus I figure if I don't like to know or think about the way the animal was killed, then I shouldn't eat it, and if we don't treat an animal with the reference it deserves before we slaughter it for our use, then I won't be involved in that either.
My father is a photographer, and he has some work in larger museums like the Smithsonian. So I spent quite a bit of time as a child in a dark room developing photos with him, then in frame shops cutting wood and metal and glass, and then in galleries and museums listening to people who know nothing but think they know everything criticize and spend too much money.
I live in a brightly colored house. No neutrals or beiges for me. Dark gray-blue in the living room, bright yellow in the kitchen, and olivey-grass green in the bedroom. It makes me happy. I'm thinking of painting the office cherry red.
I sunburn really easily and have very sensitive skin. I get weird rashes and itches it I touch something I'm not used to and have to use detergents that don't have dyes or fragrances. I carry cortaid in my purse. When I go to the beach or out in the bright sun I slather myself with SPF 45 at least and reapply every couple hours; otherwise I'll get sun poisoning. I don't know where I got this-- no one else in my family is this way. But I've learned how to live with it and it's not that big of a deal anymore.
So there you go. It wasn't as easy to think of those as I thought it would be, I suppose because I try to be as honest as I can here on my blog anyway.
I'm passing this on to Kathy over at kathy's kamground kapers because I think she'll have fun with it, and she always seems to tell it like it is, too!
I hate to clean too! I just spent two hours coming up with a cleaning plan ala Flylady. Since we recently moved to a house from a small apartment I figured I needed some regimentation - else I'd just read blogs all day!
ReplyDeleteI don't mind doing dishes, but I am a clutter queen. My husband hates it.
ReplyDeletemy singing is only good for the shower...but i do like bright colors, they are so happy.
ReplyDeleteGreat list! I love funky colored ballet flats too - and I'm wearing a pair of magenta pointy toe shoes today. Shoes are fun :)
ReplyDeleteOnly, unlike you, I should probably wear heels more often. I'm just barely 5'3, so I could use the boost!
Thanks for commenting on my blog. You managed to pick one I haven't written for years though. Just in case you're mildly interested, the current stuff's at:
ReplyDeletehttp://resurrectedramblings.blogspot.com/
:)