Wednesday, April 8, 2009

letter to my husband

I love you. Those words don't sound like much, so small, and maybe they lose a little of their meaning after almost four years of saying them to each other once, twice, sometimes twenty times a day. So I want to look at them more closely, one by one. 

I: me, this girl here, that you met on Halloween... how many years ago has it been now? The red hair piled in a spiky bun, the long legs barely hidden under a plaid skirt, brown/green eyes rimmed in black. I'm the girl you flirted with for over a year, biding your time, while I watched you sheepishly, wanting to tell you what I felt. Me, the girl you told, not asked, to go on a date with you, who slept with you on day two and never left your bed. I'm the one you hurt a few months later, and who hurt you when you came back, the one who had too much champagne and made that call. I jumped out of a plane for you. I said yes, married you, moved away, held your hand through our struggles, wrapped my arm around you when you needed it, especially this past year. I adore my time with you, every minute, from working in the yard to dressing up for a ball. I give you the bigger brownie, I think of your feelings at every turn. I fit in your arms, I belong to you. And I always will.

You: you're the guy that walked through my door and took my breath away, that left me speechless from the start. Pleather pants and eyeliner, you had the guts to wear it that night. And afterwards, you would look at me and make me feel noticed, adored, and wanted, even before you called me up and told me we were going on a date, before you even knew you wanted and adored me yourself. You got scared and ran, but just for a little while, and you helped us find our way back to each other. You pushed me out of a plane and followed me down. You told me you loved me and my heart felt like it would burst. You surprised me with a ring in the parking lot, and you went on an adventure with me, hand in hand the whole way. You held me so tight when I was hurting, feeling alone, missing my grandfather. And you urge me towards my true feelings, talk to me when I need advice, listen when I need an ear. You insist I take the bigger brownie. You make me whole, you are home to me. And I trust that these things will always be.

Love: it's a difficult emotion. It can make one feel empowered, bold, and on top of the world, but at the same time reckless, brash, and insane. It can build you up and break you down all at once. Our love is steady, our love is comfortable, like a couch, a big quilt, and worn socks, snuggled up together, like a beer in your hand on a hot summer day watching the balls fly, like a Tom Petty song played on the radio right when you need it. Love means that when I cry, you comfort me, and when I win, you win with me. When you get angry, I balance you, when you need help, I'm there. These things are unconditional. It doesn't matter if you yell, it doesn't matter if I scream, if you drink too much or I cry too much. After the fog of that has lifted, we're there for each other. Everything is forgivable because everything is forgiven. I can look into your eyes and see us old together, still laughing, making kissing faces at each other across the room, rubbing our feet together under the sheets. We're still holding hands, giggling like newlyweds, connected heart and soul. That's our love.

So, I love you. Now you know what it means when I say that, all of this condensed into those three syllables, those three very large words.

I almost don't want to send this to you. I'm embarrassed by how much power you hold over me. I don't know who I am without you, and that's scary. You would never hurt me or leave me, and I have complete trust in you, but it's still scary. Me, before you... I hardly remember that girl. I feel like my life began when you walked through my apartment door that Halloween night. Sometimes I feel like a little lost puppy following you around, but then there are times I turn around, and you're there, like a little lost puppy yourself. I don't expect you to respond to me in the same way, I know that sentimentality does not mesh with your thought pattern. I expect an "I love you too" and maybe a slightly more lingering kiss tonight before you go to the baseball game. Your pizza will be waiting when you get home, kept warm for you. And I might save a cupcake for you too, if you're lucky. I know I am. 

10 comments:

  1. That was beautiful. I hope he knows how lucky he is that you could share your feelings for him on such a public format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very tender and touching. Not something I'd have the guts to share on a blog. Save him a cupcake. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt like I had to put it out there, get it out of my head today. This blog is as much for me as for anyone who reads it anyway, which is why I don't make great strides to get people to read it-- if you stumble upon me and decide to keep up with me, then obviously something I've said has meaning for you, and maybe we can benefit from knowing each other. Or if I stumble upon your blog and follow you, then something you've said has had meaning for me.

    This is why I keep my name out of this though, so that I can post whatever I want with no repercussions to my private life. I can be completely open and honest here, which is liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - that was beautiful! You are an incredible writer. And I feel like you do and I've been married almost 29 years. Thanks for such a lovely post.

    Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, that is a wonderful thought/post. I know it is special for you; but it is also for me. I am glad I stumbled here (actually via Meredith's post). For me coz I am beginning to lose faith in Love. I feel Love of this type does'nt exist for I have been deprived of it. And your post makes me think again.
    All my 29 years of (married) life I thought it was around me some where and I just need to set a few things right and it will be a permanent feature. But no that was my illusion. There never was love. I was always a piece of object (a trophy wife) that fit in his life which was now complete for him. Wife, kids, a great house, and a handsome income...! His life was complete. that's all he wanted from it coz other things came as 'Package deal'. One sided love from me, the children and friends (who were like in a relay, some left him but other's joined the league). I was the only constant in his life. I was/am always there. So I became an object taken for granted. I have no idea when in the last 29 years this happened, that I became an object, but I know I am one. The thought has shattered my being and I am hoping to find a way to find who I am no matter waht it takes to.
    I am glad I stopped by. Your blog helped me restore some faith in life.
    Cheers...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How stunning your love is for this man. How brave to write it out and allow him the words to hold onto in the storms that life brings.

    I see Introspection has left you an honest post that really took my breath away.

    Your honesty was staggering and lovely all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lord..what writing!!!!
    You blew me away.You gave sooo much meaning to the words I LOVE YOU.
    When I was reading your story,it seemed as though I was reading a romance novel where the girl is swept away the very first time and things are always happy in the ending.

    Wow..you guys sure are lucky to have found eachother!
    God bless you guys and may your love always be this strong and beautiful^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, one of the coolest things I have heard regrading love. My boyfriend and I would always say I love you and we meant it, everyday. I remember the day I received the call that he had passed. I still looked at the morning when he was mine and alive and now, it seems so unreal. I think it is amazing that you take the time to love one another and I was floored when I read what you wrote. Love is special, love is amazing and love is private, until one decides to share. Thank you, for sharing and be well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I sit here and wipe a tear from my eye, I know love like this truly does exist. Though not quite married yet, SHE makes me feel this way. I've told her a hundred if not a million times that the three letter phrase "I Love You" would never fully describe the depths of my feelings for her. SHE comes before me in everything I do. Your tender letter will be shared with her half a world away in the morning. Hopefully she'll say something like, "you'd have a cupcake and a glass of milk waiting, Honey". Thank you for sharing this beautiful letter with us, I've been inspired for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That letter is so beautiful and so very much what I feel with HIM. Thank you for sharing it with US. I am so lucky, because I know exactly what you are talking about and I wish you both blessings untold.

    ReplyDelete