Friday, April 24, 2009

around and around

Life is so funny sometimes. I've been cruising along lately, conscious only of weeks and not days, time zooming past like race cars on the track. Suddenly it's 80 degrees outside and time to put away the sweaters. I'm a week and a half from being 27 when the last birthday I really remember was... 23? No, 24 was a good one, we were in London. London was three years ago. I'm shaking my head at my keyboard, wondering where in the world the time went and what in the world I've done with it. 

I've driven the same car since my sophomore year of college. My father helped me buy it. It was his idea, and it was too expensive for me, so he helped me out because he wanted me in the safest car available. My aunt, my mom's little sister, who had been born with scoliosis and so spent her life with her head tilted to one side in a constant questioning motion, was killed in a car accident that year. She and I drove the same kind of car, and although what actually killed her was scar tissue breaking off from an earlier spinal surgery and clotting her lungs, my dad freaked out a  little and bought me a BMW with steel side bars and roll-down air bags. Used, but nice, especially back then.

Now I call it the ghetto-W. The windows won't roll down anymore, and sometimes the doors refuse to unlock. I replaced the reverse gear and the coolant system a couple years ago (has it been a couple years really?) for a whopping 3k. Everything on these German cars is more expensive to fix, like 3 and 4 times more. A headlight bulb costs me $25. 

So yesterday, on the way home from work I was sitting at a red light listening to NPR's All Things Considered, some story about Obama and credit cards, and suddenly my car raised and lowered, like I had gone over a bump but was sitting still, and I heard a ka-plunk. And my check engine light came on. I thought for a second the guy behind me had bumped me, but I could still see his bumper in my rear view mirror, so I knew it wasn't him. I immediately called my husband, and we agreed I should turn around and drive it to the one guy in town that works on BMWs. He opened my hood and there was oil everywhere. Awesome.

So we are carless. We borrowed a car so that we could get to work this morning. His car quote was $407 (as I said yesterday, his fan threw a blade into his radiator, so we're replacing both). Who knows what mine will be.

It's enough to make me want to lock myself in the house all weekend. But there are worse things that could happen. If he comes back with another 3k quote, it might be time for a new car. As much as I don't want to take on a payment right now, at least we probably have the resources to do it. Life is all about our reactions to things, isn't it? And my husband and I spent most of the night laughing about this. I just hope I can keep laughing when I hear the news, good or bad.

Edited to add: Husband just told me that as a part of our refinance, there's an extra $1400 in our old escrow account, and they'll be mailing us a check in 30 days. Now I'm shaking my head again, in disbelief this time. I just never know what to expect. Life is a roller coaster, that's for sure. I'm glad I like roller coasters. 

9 comments:

  1. You said, "Life is all about our reactions to things", and I couldn't agree more. Too many people believe that life is about what happens to you, but that's just not true. Things happen to everyone, everyday, and what defines you as a person is not what those things are - for the most part, the same things happen to everyone - what makes a difference is how you encounter and react to what happens.

    Good luck with the car situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Scarlethue, honey, you have no idea how fast time can fly. The last time I looked up a whole decade had gone by.

    2. I can relate to the car. I drove a 1984 Volvo sedan for 24 years. I wanted it to be the last car I ever had to buy and it almost made it. Currently making payments on a new truck.

    3. The only thing we can control is how we act/react. We can choose to get angry, sad or happy. I always try to choose happy.

    4. If you believe, it will come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely. I know everyone says it and it's so cliche by now, but the older you get, the fast time flies. Who knew the aged actually know what they're talking about? ;)

    Best to you with this whole car deal. It sounds like, though, something will surprise you (given the track record) and work out great in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a story!!! .... it's so true, you don't ever know what to expect. You think you do and then nope...nothing like you planned. So what is one to do? Roll with the punches, so to speak? I'm not always good at that. ...although I seemed to have been when I was younger.

    Good luck with your cars ...congrats on the cash!!!

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am so glad the money is there to take care of it. That is a good day on the ride! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roller coasters may be fun or frightening, but they're always interesting. Hold on and enjoy the ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just love those little gifts that come when we least expect them? I know that $1400 can come in handy now.

    I, too, am carless. I gave mine to my son-in-law so that he could do his job. Since my husband is not working we share his. I can't say it's a problem, as most places we go together. However, I have my eye on the 2010 Prius, which has batteries that are supposed to last the lifetime of the car. But then I think, do I really need a car?

    ReplyDelete
  8. BMWs are not allowed to misbehave.

    I fear moments like the one you just so vividly described.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right... this is crazy. I wrote something very similar to this even a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, the quote on my car WAS close to 3K, so I did have to buy a new one... the very day after you wrote this blog.

    Welcome to my world, and I'm looking forward to following yours too!! :)

    ReplyDelete