I'm actually in a meeting right now. A virtual one, but yes, I'm sitting here listening to my boss talk to one of our programmers about invoice numbers and drop down menus and ROIs... it's 10:30 at night. I'm usually brushing my teeth right now, slowly rotating my arm in small circles, trying not to nick my gums too much, staring at myself in the mirror, my mind wandering to other, even more mundane things. Kind of like it's doing now.
And I'm eating a chocolate chip cookie, warm from the microwave. The chocolate chips leave polka-dot stains on the paper towel that's doubling as a crumb catcher. It's too sweet to be eating at so late an hour, but I had to have something.
This week the other "senior manager" in our office and I have been trying to create job descriptions for everyone. We've brought in some new people (up to 9 now, from 3 when I first started), and as a result our willy-nilly do what you want attitude isn't working very well any more. When there was just three or four, we all trusted and understood and appreciated each other's roles. Now there's "where's he going" and "why wasn't this done" and "who's responsibility is it anyway." So far we've been met with smiling faces and receptive words, but we've only done the easy people's so far. We're leaving the hard one, the IT manager, the one who thinks he's our boss (oh how he's sorely mistaken), for last. That should be an... interesting... meeting.
It seems so petty, the our boss, his boss stuff. It's respect. That's all it is. We all want that. I need to keep that in mind.
Oh, it sounds like they're winding down. Yep, my friend (the other admin) is texting me now. She thought it was pointless too. And yet they set another one for 8 a.m. Good thing I left my power cord at work. I'll see them all at 9.
Rules, we all must have rules. I remind myself that it will all work out as I now go into my office to print yet another list of rules (no longer under disguise as nice little requests). Civilization requires rules, I have found!!! Every one needs to know what is expected of them. Go get him, girl!
ReplyDelete