1) I don't know that I've ever said this before here, but it seems so obvious: I'm grateful for my Bubby.I found Bub in the last cage at the shelter at the end of my sophomore year in college. I've never lived without animals in my house, not since I was five and my parents brought home Maxie, the smartest and sweetest miniature schnauzer ever, whom I still miss. I was living in my first apartment by myself, feeling a little lonely since Maxie had just passed only a year before. I'm not one to buy a pet, like it's an accessory and not a living, breathing thing, so I went to the shelter for the first time looking for an "apartment size" dog. There was a mini pincher, who was sweet but looked like he was walking around on toothpicks. I like rough and tumble dogs. There were beagle puppies, but they were so loud, howling at each other. Then, in the last run, there was a shy black dog all alone at the back of her run, a larger white dog crowding the gate wanting attention, and a little black and white dotted puppy. I was told that the three of them were found wandering together just that morning, strays, and that they thought the two older dogs were the parents of the single puppy.
He was so tiny and so full of life. He never had all four feet on the ground, jumping around, leaping over his father in a flurry of fur, trying to get to the gate and to me. There were no papers on his cage. He didn't even have a name. When I went up to the front desk, I didn't know it at the time, but I spoke to the shelter director. I told her I wanted that little puppy in the back.
"Which one? One of the beagles?"
"No, he's a little black and white puppy, in the kennel with two other older dogs."
"Oh," broke in one of the kennel attendants. "They were brought in this morning. We don't have papers on them yet. They were strays, unclaimed."
"Well get them some papers!" she yelled, laughing, winking at me and handing me the application.
And Bub went home with me that day.
He's the furry love of my life, my best friend. Sure we argue sometimes (I can't stand his whining when he wants to go for a walk) but who doesn't? My favorite thing today: when I let him in from outside, give him food or water, get out of bed in the morning, or do anything else nice for him, more times than not he'll walk over to me and give my leg a little lick, like a tiny little kiss, a thank you mommy.
Since the first was so long, these last four will be short and sweet...
2) Just got an email from a huge person in our industry interested in our new software. I hope something good comes of that! My boss is freaking out a bit.
3) The sun is back after two days of rain and clouds. Although I was thankful for the rain and clouds too, while they lasted.
4) My plans for tonight are to babysit for my friend's toddler while they go watch the new Harry Potter movie. This little boy is so kind and laughs all the time, but I'll be grateful for going back home to my child-free, sane home afterward too.
5) Financial stability. My new receptionist's timing belt broke on her SUV and she's struggling to find a way to pay for it. Her husband had to give her a ride this morning. Belts aren't that expensive but the friend that can do it for her for free can't until next week, so there's a decision to be made. I'm glad I don't have to make decisions like that, but also glad we were able to hire her and provide a job to someone in this terrible economy.
I am happy for you because you know how to find joy in small things as the sun and toddlers. Many people can't.
ReplyDeleteBless you!
Thanks for the pick me up I needed right now.... My little Emmy hurt her back again and I can't find my old cat, Gremlin. Haven't seen my old guy all day......
ReplyDeleteI stopped by from MLS and I'm glad I did. You seem to write thoughtfull posts! I'm going to check out a few more and become a follower.
ReplyDeleteOn a side note, we bought a little cat for my mother last year (atticus) and he has become the absolute darling of the family. We left him alone for a week when we went on vacation and we actually all missed him terribly. My brother, who's over 6 foot three and a football player, cardles this cat like it's his child. Atticus even plays fetch like a dog. And let me tell you, he's brought a lot of joy in a year that has been very rough on my family. So I never underestiamte the power of the furry friend!
I liked this post! :)
You're a good person, through and through.
ReplyDelete