Friday, July 24, 2009

simply now

I'm a pretty simple girl. I'm easy, really. (My husband would interject right here, laugh and say In more ways than one. So I slept with him on our second date-- we had been friends for a year. Plus he's devastatingly handsome and charming, and I'm alarmingly seductive. Yeah.)

I don't ask for much. I'm sitting in a used office chair, made for a man, most uncomfortable. I don't have an office door and I share my desk with the new girl for now. No big deal. I let my husband have the remote and only complain a little when he puts it on the SciFi network. I am drama free.

Simple things make me happy. Not much makes me happier than the picture below, being right there, with my husband sitting nearby as well.I find being simple and easy makes my life simple and easy, which is good, but also slightly boring at times. I don't have fantastic stories to tell. As much as I want to be a story teller, I have no stories, and no real ability to create them from nothing.

There are painful things in my past, in my childhood, I could write about, but I've mentioned my brothers enough. That past belongs in the past. Then there are a few adventures from London, but they seem trapped in a haze in my mind now, trapped in the fog in which most of them occurred, their details fuzzy like I'm remembering someone else's life. It was such a departure from normality; I'm not surprised.

So I write mostly about myself, about my now.

Now I have a headache, the same headache I've had for four days running. I've tried ibuprofen and aleve both, although not too much of either one because I don't like to overdo. I guess it's a no to allergies. The first two days of this one, it was raining pretty heavily as a low front moved through. I'm beginning to think the weather, the pressure and humidity changes, are triggering a migraine for me, but a different kind than the aura-producing probably hormone caused migraines I already know I have. I can't stand to take an imitrex every time I get a headache-- they're expensive (even if insurance does pay for most of it, I still think about the $28 pill I pop every time I see the light), they make me feel funny, and I don't even like to take too much ibuprofen, much less a prescription strength megapill like this.

Now I am also glad it's Friday. So so glad. Monday will be here all too soon, but I'm going to try hard to enjoy every second of this weekend. I even have a demented plan to get up early tomorrow so I have more seconds to enjoy. Maybe try out the farmer's market. We'll see if that works out.

Now I am cracking open a diet Dr. Pepper, and now I'm living completely inside that first sip, the cold rush of carbonation to the back of my throat, tickling my nose from the inside out. I told you, simple things for a simple girl.

8 comments:

  1. Simple is a good thing. And you do have stories to tell. I just read one of them and it didn't bore me to tears. Keep on writing and a writer you will become. I always say to people, "I'm in the process of becoming a great writer." I wish we had a good farmer's market in Las Vegas. You could take pictures of your farmer's market and blog about that and I would enjoy seeing all the fresh fruits and vegetables that can only be obtained at the farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being mindful makes everything special, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to hear that your headaches are back! I use to drink Tab, at least one a day. I found that the sweetener was causing me to have a headache. Seems like everything causes something bad to occur! Enjoy your weekend. My cat is still AWOL. I have looked every where and I would have found some evidence if a wild animal had gotten him. I think he went off to die, he was 16.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a simple person and an easily entertained one as well. My only hobby is reading. The worst movies make me laugh. I work in a neighborhood filled with gay bars and youth shelters and our customers never fail to make me laugh. My life is as easy as I can make it with four kids and I'm ok with that.

    I have found that when I first get a headache I can sometimes get it under control with strong coffee. However if it's not gone in the first few house I'm in for days of pain. 10-12 days is typical once I have one. Also if I have the slightest twinge before bed I take a strong pain killer, otherwise it grows over night and I can barely get out of bed in the morning. I can relate to not wanting to take something strong everytime your head hurts, but for me at least, the side effects of the drugs are easier to deal with then feeling like there is an ice pick in my brain. Have you looked into any herbal remedys?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this post to be a gentle easing toward the end of the day. Like I could turn off my computer & slide into bed right now. And I like that kind of post. Of course, I'm not going to bed right now.

    Re: ibuprofen. I have arthritis in one hip, a damaged (not torn, but VERY painful) rotator cuff in the opposite shoulder & a cracked tailbone. OUCH! I asked my brother the pharmacist how much ibuprofen I could take a day & be fairly safe & he said 800 milligrams. So I take four of the regular ones in the morning & four with supper. This is temporary until I have surgery on my shoulder because of course I don't want to take that much forever! Right now I just wish the tailbone would ease up...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you write! there is depth and complexities..to you simple-ness :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I drink carbonated drinks, I tend to burp. Which may be too much information, but hey ho. I always want to write about myself once removed, far easier than writing about the internal me. You do have a lot to say and it's always interesting to hear.Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAve you checked on allergies? Poor you!

    Also, I hope you tell of London when your head isn't hurting.

    ReplyDelete