Sunday, July 5, 2009

blood red

Today is my older brother's birthday. I suppose I should call him. I don't want to. I have nothing to say and am not good at small talk. He's 30. Mostly I want to tell him that he should officially start acting like an adult now, no more calling my parents for money, no more excuses. He called on my birthday-- I couldn't answer and he left a message. Maybe I'll have that good fortune. I'm a terrible sister and a terrible person. Why is it so odd to me that one should be required to maintain contact with a person one doesn't at all like? Blood. What good is it?

The back of my neck is sunburned, pink like a just-ripe strawberry. We went out on a boat yesterday, and although I thought I was completely slathered in SPF 55, I missed the spot between my tank top and halter-style swimsuit tie at the back of my neck, leaving me with a crescent-shaped burn, like a Cheshire smile above my shoulder blades. Luckily once we got to our beach and I took off my tank top, my husband lotioned my back and prevented the burn from getting any worse than it did. But seeing what thirty or forty-five minutes of sun on that unprotected bit of skin can do, I'm very thankful for sunscreen.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about relatives..... We can't choose them, but that doesn't mean we have to like them. Take care of that burn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my younger brother was not my brother I would not know him. I have never really liked him (he can be pompous because he is very smart and he also makes a boat load of money). He does not understand me or my lifestyle and I have nothing in common with him. We do not communicate much although we are on friendly terms.

    Don't feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were on a boat yesterday, too! :)

    Maybe you could send him an e-mail? Or even a free e-card from Hallmark.com? One of them might say something just perfect.

    ReplyDelete