Tuesday, October 20, 2009

hope against hope

I don't like to do political posts. I leave politics out of my life, and my head, for the most part, because living where I live its rare that I find someone who agrees with me. Besides, I don't believe it's possible to change most people's minds, so why argue? But it's probably pretty obvious to my more dedicated readers that I lean to the left, what with my agnostic ramblings and animal rights rants.

I drank the Obama kool-aid pretty early on in his campaign, dumping Hilary like last season's worn out designer purse and picking up the new, shiny, hopeful Obama model. It was all the rage, and with all the promises made about a new way of being, a positive change, how could I resist?

I forgot when I committed that it was a four-year committment. No matter how pretty a purse is, no matter the designer label or the pretty features, none are perfect. The straps are too long, the zipper sticks, or it turns into a black hole where your keys and lipstick get lost somewhere at the bottom never to be seen again.

Obama is a black hole, a bottomless pit, the worst of all offenses. I poured my hopes and dreams in, wanting so much for this country to make a positive change. I wanted the wars to end, Gitmo to close, public health care for all, and maybe even to give gay people more rights if not legalizing their marriage, but none of that is happening. He's a puppet of his designers, a false front created to give us all false hope. He was branded, the same way a purse is branded. He may say Louis, but really he's no better than one I could pick up at Target. Same materials, same construction, same end use.

I wish I could meet him in person. I've planned out what I would say. I would shake his hand, look him in the eyes, and say something like, "I voted for you because I believed you could change things. You have the power now, you have the Senate votes, you have America's undivided attention. Now do something. Stop sitting on your hands, fretting about bi-partisanship and keeping everyone happy. You can't please everyone. Follow through. It's time. You may fail, but you're sure to fail if you do nothing." Then I would let go of my grasp on his hand and hope that somehow my words sunk in, because they are the words of so many.

Not only would his failure create another 4 or 8 years of do-nothing politics, where we sit and spin our wheels while people die and our earth falls to pieces, but the apathy of the voters of this country would swirl out of control. He got me off my feet, made me excited again about the possibility of an America of which I could be proud, but now... I worry. I worry he was too good to be true and no one will ever be able to motivate us again. We'll all be afraid, and rightfully so, that we're being tricked into backing a false prophet once again.

I don't know that I've ever believed one small person could make a huge difference. I know that one person can make a difference locally, and that local changes can create regional and then national changes, which is why my personal political mantra has always been "think globally, act locally." I support local charities and follow local politicians. That's why I'm having a hard time right now understanding how this happened and how to fix it.

There may be no fixing it. I may just need to wait out this four-year contract, pray that no more of my hopes get lost somewhere at the bottom of the bag, and then reluctanly pick out a new one in 2012. I won't be taken in by another smooth talking salesman again though. I don't really believe anymore, and that's the saddest part of all. Yes, we can, but we haven't yet.

12 comments:

  1. I understand where you are coming from ...

    I still believe in him. I think he was the best person for the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over here in the UK, we are watching Obama's policy reforms with great interest. The reports we are getting is that he seems to be trying to please everyone, all of the time. And quite a lot of his more radical reforms, such as health, seem to be meeting with obstacles with every step he takes.

    There is talk of a lot of broken promises and such. The only saving grace that anyone can take is that no matter what, he isn't G Bush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Dan. We're still too busy thanking everything that is holy that GWB is no longer in charge.

    The Obama honeymoon's not over for me yet, not by a long stretch. I wonder when the last time was that so many people outside of the resident country felt that they had so much riding on a foreign leader? I don't remember it in my lifetime....

    ReplyDelete
  4. JC- best person of the available candidates? definitely. but the lesser of two evils is still evil.

    Dan and Matthew- I think part of the problem is that we're bombarded over here with multiple 24 hour news stations with nothing better to talk about than Obama and his actions, or lack there of. I've turned the tv off recently and that seems to be helping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, our expectations were high when Obama came along, but the one thing we may not of taken into account that what really happens is in the hands of Congress and the lobbyist who they bow down to.

    Obama was our best choice and he was handed a terrible mess that GW left on the plate, and magic can't happen over night...but I still like our President and believe things will get better. If you remember Clinton was unable to keep some of his promises, and could not get his and Hillary's health program passed because there was such opisition all the way throughtout his adminstration, yet economical it was a beautiful time. Maybe we'll see that again before long. I sam still optimistic that this change and the regaining of world respect that was taken away by our former president makes it worth having an articulate and visionary man in the White House now.

    It's too bad we couldn't dump all of Congress and start over. They need to take responsibility for always wasting of time, for the corruption, and all else that keeps our country in a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One man can make a difference. The one man that inspired and kept Britain fighting for life was Winston Spencer Churchill in the first half of the 1940s.

    One of his great assets was his skill as an orator. His speeches gave courage to us. He was a fearless and politically astute man.

    He made some harsh decisions, costing many lives but he kept thrusting forward, brooking no argument. He was often drunk; he had heart problems; he was a bit of a bully by all accounts. But he was the man for the job at that time.

    Obama has inspiring oratory skills; perhaps he needs to be more ruthless with some of the people around him? Become the REAL boss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if you all are going to be optimistic, I can't help but try to be the same way. Congress, as usual, is definitely part of the problem, but with as many democrats as there are in there now, it seems like he really could get just about anything passed. But I suppose it's more difficult than that? He needs some of Churchill's bullying attitude. It's early days. I'll give him another year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately, what most people don't realize, is that you can dress up the office of the President all you want to- but in the end, he's not the one calling the shots anyway. The political structure of our country doesn't allow for any one person to have enough power to do the things that need to be done. It's all a racket, packaged in a way that appeals to what the people want to hear at any given time.

    Of course there's always hope for change... but the reality of change is much more monumental and deeply embedded than is possible to accomplish in 4 or even 8 years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't give up yet, and don't listen to the political pundits. There is an underground movement going on and our president has his plate full. But don't count him out yet. Sign every stinking petition and letter to your congressmen and senators, that comes down the pike. Let them know if they don't sport some changes, and now, they will not be in office next term. That's what they understand. Plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank God, one by one of you are beginning to see the light. Or should I say the dark. Darkest days of our country are coming I think. He's plain scarey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hold up there, I never said scary. He's ten times better than what we had and ten times better than McCain/Palin. I'm just frustrated that more change hasn't happened yet. There's nothing scary about him though, at least no more scary than any other politician, and the whole idea of "dark days" ahead being blamed on a man who's been in office for a year instead of looking to the past 8 in addition is silly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you. He's not scary. He's been in office less than a year, and he sure has his hands full. And we don't know the half. I trust his integrity and I do believe he is quietly moving forward. He's a politician, of course, otherwise he wouldn't be where he is. But he's the best we've had in a while. I say, give him four years, tune out the naysayers and race baiters, and then, come the next election, decide.

    ReplyDelete