My parents told me that for Christmas they are going to buy mine and my husband's plane tickets to Italy because they don't want us to have to wait til 2012 to go. I've mentioned before on here that we are steadily saving for a whirlwind two week trip, but because of our slow progress in that department, we hadn't planned to go until 2012, or The Year I Turn 30 (dum dum dummmm).Because of their generous offer (which of course we jumped on right away, I don't turn down presents, no matter how generous or uncalled for) we have amped up the planning process. We're thinking September next year. I made our itinerary the other night:
Fly into Naples, spend the night
Explore Naples- one day
Day trip from Naples to Pompeii
If we can, day trip from Naples to Positano and/or Sorrento
Train to Rome, explore Rome the rest of that day
Two more days to explore Rome, leave later second day
Train to Florence
One day to explore Florence
Day trip to Pisa
Train to Venice, stopping in Bologna and Ferrara, so taking a day
Full day in Venice
Tentative: Next day train to Vienna (all day train)
Two days in Vienna
Fly home
So including all the tentative plans and flight days, that's a full 15 days. Wow. What an amazing trip it would be if we can pull it off.
Naples worries me. All I've ever heard about it is that it's run by the Mafia and it's dangerous. I don't know anything about the city though. I've been to both Pompeii and Sorrento and loved them, so I want husband to see them. My alternative plan would be to fly into Naples and directly catch a bus or train to Sorrento, making that our "stay" those couple days instead of Naples. But we would probably have to go back into Naples to get the train to Rome. I'm concerned that with the traveling I've done in Italy no one has ever thought to take me into Naples. Is that a bad sign?
On the other end of the trip, we have friends in Vienna we'd love to see, and I've never been there and am dying to go. It's a full 8 hour train ride from Venice, but it may be worth it.
I feel like I'm leaving out so much. I want to go to Sicily, I'd love to go to Capri, I want to see Lake Como and the Alps, I loved Assisi and want to take him there too but can't figure out how to add it in. There's only so much that can be done.
His mom asked us the other day to make our Christmas lists, and my first thought was "money!" But it being his extended family doing the giving, I dutifully made a list of easily accessible and wrappable items like books, cds, and other randoms that I don't really need or want (although I did add a disclaimer at the top that cash is perfectly acceptable). I'm not asking the parents for a single other thing, though, not after that gesture. I need to think of something great to get them.
You must be a wonderful daughter for your parents to give you this.... not the money part, but the dream, giving it wings. So very special.
ReplyDeleteEvery year there is usually one of my kids that I know I nail this gift thing down with, the others are always mediocre, but appreciated nonetheless. Your folks are taking as much joy in the giving as you are in the receiving!
Oh Congratulations!!!! I am so delighted for you!
ReplyDeleteMy husband and I were in Italy two years ago as I write this. We went in celebration of our ten year wedding anniversary. We were in a gondola on the Grand Canal in Venice on the very day. Talk about magical.
Our tour began and ended in Rome and included Florence, Pisa, Verona and Venice. Venice was my favorite. I don't care if it's sinking... I'd live there in a heartbeat. If you have the time, pick up a copy of A Thousand Days In Venice by Marlena de Blasi and read it before you go. Very romantic and lovely.
I can't wait to hear all about your trip. Safe travels and Arrivederci!
It sounds wonderful! What a trip it will be. I'm of no help with your itenerary; I've never been to Italy, and it's my husband who does all our travel plans. I missed out on the gene that makes sense of it.
ReplyDeleteSeptember will be here before you know it!
What an incredibly generous gift. I'm not sure I could tear myself away from each new city. Venice sounds like a place to spend far more than a day.. a year, maybe. :)
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a pretty wonderful gift there matey. I have always wanted to go but just haven't got round to it yet.
ReplyDeleteWill you put some photos up if you do?
Sounds fab. Can't wait to see what you make of it when you go.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful gift! I would love to do the same for my children some day, only I would love to go with them to spend at least part of the trip with them. They like the idea because we are built-in babysitters. Works for me!
ReplyDelete