Thursday, October 1, 2009

Grateful Thursday

My boss accused me of being a negative person the other day. I think perhaps I was being negative that day about how things were going at work. With the stress we've been under, it's a wonder I'm still alive, much less happy-go-lucky. This week has been better. Anyway, I informed him that I keep a gratitude journal and count my blessings nearly every day, so if, for some reason, I appear to be negative about something, it's probably because I am also a realistic person and there's a characteristic of that something that shouldn't be celebrated.

Even though I only publish this gratitude post once a week, I do consider it my "journal," and knowing that every week I will come up with three to five items (big or small, random or planned) keeps me on my toes. I find myself all week feeling grateful for things which previously I wouldn't have even noticed. So here are the three out of a million that I've selected this week.

1) Onion rings, and in correlation, discovering new favorite foods. I didn't think I liked onion rings. I don't particularly like onions, especially red onions, but apparently I do like yellow onion, the sweet ones, and fried and battered with ketchup makes them absolutely sensational. I was so hungry one day in Vegas, and the deli we were in only had onion rings and meat sandwiches, so I ordered myself some onion rings and haven't been able to stop eating them since. I'll be as big as a house if I don't stop soon, but they're just so good.

2) New technology. While also scary at times (I don't think I like that a cell company can pinpoint my location with GPS whenever they feel like it), I do have to admit that I love my new iPhone. I had left work the other day without remembering to call and change my hair appointment, but I realized sitting at a red light in traffic that I could google my stylist from my phone and then with two button presses be speaking to her directly just minutes before she was to leave for the day. A small victory there, but several small victories an add up to a pretty good day.

3) Even greater financial stability. I got a raise, a pretty significant one, 25%. I also have two new employees to manage who took over a couple of my responsibilities. It's been great except I'm kind of out of things to do today and it's only 1:45. I'm sure this will all even out, and my managing of new employees will take over the time I used to spend doing the million things that they're all handling now. I had gotten overloaded with duties so it's about time I got some help. But right now I'm feeling a bit lost. Richer, but lost. It'll work out.

4 comments:

  1. I love Sonic's onion rings - hmmmm - they're sweet & yummy.

    My job is very boring right now, but I'm just riding the wave & reading blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you a craving for onion rings? Are you sure you're not in the club?

    ;-}

    Congratulations (on your pay rise!) and I hope you can off-load more of your business duties as the new employees get settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the raise! You've definitely earned it after everything you've been through there. :) Enjoy the slack time while you've got it... sounds like they have every intention of using you to your full capacity! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on discovering onion rings. I hope it's a long and joyous union.

    ReplyDelete