Monday, October 19, 2009

eavesdropping

My dad fell at work last week. Nothing serious, just bruised his knee and thigh and spent a day or two limping around. I called him on the way home from work one day to check on him. He didn't answer his cell so I called the house phone. I wish I could record all our conversations, for posterity.

Dad: 'Lo? breathless

Me: Hey, Dad. What are you doing?

D: Oh, hey. You've got me running around this house, back and forth from one phone to the other. By the time I got to my cell you were ringing the house.

M: Sorry... you shouldn't be running, just let it ring and I'd call back. Your cell went to voicemail. How are you feeling?

D: Eh, I'm alright. I guess your mom told you I fell.

M: Yeah, what were you doing?

D: Nothing, just going down the stairs at work, and I missed a step. It's not bothering me too bad anymore, but that night I took two pain pills and went to bed, and when I woke up my Meniere's was acting up...

M: Oh! I was wondering what that word was earlier. That sucks.

D: I was really dizzy, the room spins clockwise, you know. No throwing up but I didn't go to work. Feeling better today though, I went to work and checked my email at least

M: That's good, I'm glad you're doing better

D: Yeah. Well your mom's not here, she went to get a pizza for dinner

M: Oh, that sounds good

D: She was going to cook a couple little pork chops, you know, and some biscuits, but she had that look on her face that said she didn't want to cook, so I told her to go get a pizza. Hawaiian

M: Oh, yum. We all have days like that. That's why God made Little Caesar's

D: Haha true, true. Well... what are y'all up to?

M: Tonight?

D: Yeah

M: Nothing really, going to make some black bean burritos and watch tv. That's about it

D: Burritos, that sounds good

M: Not as good as Hawaiian pizza thought, right?

D: Obviously. There's a woman on the news, just had triplets

M: Where, there in town?

D: Yeah, I guess. They're cute

M: I wouldn't even know what to do with triplets. Heck, I wouldn't know what to do with one

D: You'd figure it out. Especially if they were this cute

M: I guess. Kathy is doing in-vetro right now, you know our friends Kathy and Byron. She's was implanted last week. They did the whole shots, pills, et cetera, all the things they could do, but this is their last resort. But they're only implanting 4, they don't want to end up like Octomom

D: Probably all four won't take

M: I know. They only want to do it once though, because it's so expensive

D: I hope it works for them. Hey, your mom is here. Here... rattle

M: Hey Mom

Mom: Hey, just got us a pizza

M: Yeah, that's what Dad said. He seems to be feeling better

Mom: Yeah, he even went to work. You know how men are though, big baby. laugh Well we'd better eat this pizza while it's hot

M: Ok, well y'all have a good night

Mom: You too, love you

M: Love you too.

4 comments:

  1. It's a sweet call.

    Dads are so special. I love mine dearly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really lovely message. Very easy to tell you both love each other dearly. And I'm also hungry as well now.

    Damn.

    Hope your dad feels better soon mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like my dad.....except I have to repeat my end three times because he can't hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad & I talk every Sunday night - & our conversations are pretty similar. He always asks if I've heard from my brother (who lives next door to him - 8 hours away from me LOL!). It's nice to have some normal...

    ReplyDelete