Friday, June 11, 2010

puppy love

I've been wishing for, praying for, conniving and lying for, craving a new family addition lately. Not the pitter-patter of two little feet, but four little pads. I don't know why I need a new dog, like Bub isn't enough, but it's some sort of misplaced maternal instinct, or a rescuer disposition, or something. I feel the need to save something, to love something else. There's room in my heart, house, and wallet.

But.

Husband isn't so excited. In fact, I would say he's totally against it. He cringes when I mention it. I think he's afraid I want to become the crazy cat lady, only the crazy dog lady instead. I can't help it. I get a new animal and am sated for a year or two, and then I get the itch again. We got our cat in 2007, so it's been too long!

I'd really love a big dog. Something like a lab or hound dog or pointer. Bub gets jealous sometimes, but he's so much better with big dogs since my parents have big dogs. Something like a Lewis or a Joyce or a Spot, all three of which are just sitting at the shelter right now...

Lewis, a two-month old Golden Retriever mix. Probably a little too young for us, but how can you deny this face??
Joyce, a three month old Airedale Terrier mix. Got to love the terrier attitude-- full of spunk!
Spot, such a noble and intelligent dog, 1 year old lab mix
I can't stand knowing such beautiful, loving animals are sitting out there right now just begging for someone to take them home!

I scan the roadsides as I drive, I jump at every bark I hear, just hoping that somehow a new dog is going to fall into my lap in such a way that husband can't say no. If a stray happens by, he can't make me take it to the shelter, how could he when he knows what its fate may be there? Talk about guilt trip. But I'd rather just adopt one so that we can figure out which would work best for Bub, temperament wise, and they'll go ahead and spay/neuter it for us, which is a necessity.

I decided to post this here because even though I know seeing these pictures would just make my craving even worse, maybe I'll influence someone else out there to consider a shelter dog. They're not broken, just wizened, and they make the best pets because they appreciate every day they're spoiled.

7 comments:

  1. I agree completely. There's something about a pound puppy-they know they've been rescued and are forever grateful. We got a dog from the pound 5 years ago and I cannot imagine a better dog for us. If we had the space for another one I'd gladly consider it! There's nothing quite like a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, they're all such dolls.

    I think since you're open to it, especially with a willing and helpful heart (as far as adopting), it'll happen. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I will be one day the crazy dog old lady..I absolutely know how your feel..I have 2 and I wnat a 3rd..but hubby says no..I also am hoping one just happens to drop by..so he can't say no... how funny to read someone elses words which are your own.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All lovely and I do understand why you want one, but would it be alright by itself during the day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this post. love. my dog, my sister, she's with my parents in WI and i'm all the way out in CA. i get to see her in seven days and i cannot.wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I can so relate to this. I'm pretty sure there's a dog out there just waiting for you (or your husband) to find him. Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sounded so much like me in this post... those puppies are truly adorable, aren't they. It breaks my heart to know that there are so many that need a home, and so few people willing to make that commitment. I wish I had the time and money to take care of more. I'd love for my sweet Maggie to have a playmate.

    I hope it all works out. I know Bub would love the company and I know you have the extra love to give. :)

    ReplyDelete