Tuesday, June 15, 2010

the veil between

A friend told me a story yesterday. Her parents both passed just before her son was born, so he wasn't able to meet them on this earth. She and her siblings would talk about these would-be grandparents, telling him stories about who they were and how much they would have loved him. He's about 5 years old now, and since he could talk he referred to his grandparents as KayKay and Mike.

They have a pool, and one of the boy's favorite things to do is swim. One day, a couple years ago when the boy was 3, early in the morning before anyone else in the house was up, he sneaked from his bed to the back patio door that led to their pool. The door had been left unlocked, so he slid it open. But he just stood there. My friend heard the door open and walked into the room. She paused and watched him for a few seconds, just standing there, and then told him he shouldn't go outside alone, that it was early and dangerous to be at the pool by himself. He said, "Don't worry, Momma. KayKay told me not to go outside too."

My friend said she was surprised at her own reaction at this, which was to thank her mother without questioning the truth of his statement. And it brought her peace.

I've heard children are more open to seeing what adults can't see. There's also the possibility that because of the stories he had been told, he had made his KayKay into an imaginary friend. But a friend who tells him not to do his favorite thing?

What do you think? Have you ever experienced this?

I'm open to it. I pray that my grandfather will visit me in my dreams, but he never has. I am not at peace over his death, and I don't know how to find it, not even now, 4 years after the last day that I saw him alive.

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing story! I haven't had personal experience like this, but know many others who have. I'm so sorry that you haven't found peace yet over your grandfather's death. I hope he'll give you the gift of closure soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally believe that children see beyond the veil and then life trains it out of them. my daughter, when she was 5, told me, "you were a hard mommy to get before i was born but God let me have you." I have never forgotten this, although she has. And she and her friends, when they were 4 to 6, used to talk about when they used to play together in "baby heaven" (no they didn't go to a religious school). My girl also drew a picture of the twin towers being "attacked by lightening storms and falling down" when she was 4. Later when 9/11 happened, she said "I knew that would happen but I didn't think it would happen till I was 14 or 15." She was 7. Very strange. As she has gotten older, these sorts of things have diminished. But I believe the ability to perceive what lies beyond ordinary sight is there in all of us, even though we may use different language and terminology to describe what we perceive.

    Why are you not at peace over your grandfather's death? Did you write about it in an earlier post? I, too, hope you find closure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe. I was visited by my mother after she died. No words were exchanged, but I could feel her prescence. I have tried to feel my son since he left this earth, but can't. I am not at peace with his death or my mother's. I have accepted that they died and that I was not there to lend comfort, but peace eludes me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing story!

    I haven't experienced this sort of thing for myself, but I know some who have. And I'm absolutely open to it. Having lost my dad so recently, I like to believe he's close by. I try to be tuned in, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela, I have posted about him a few times:

    http://scarlethue.blogspot.com/2009/01/grieving.html

    http://scarlethue.blogspot.com/2009/08/legacy.html

    http://scarlethue.blogspot.com/2009/04/in-constant-dream.html (about his wife)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure what I think about this type of experience. I haven't had it, although I've experienced strong feelings of deja vue several times - all of which have been very uncomfortable. I suspect that I would rather things stayed in the world they belonged, whichever one that was.

    ReplyDelete