Didn't sleep last night. I have vague, hazy memories of waking, rolling over, straightening the pillowcase, pulling up the covers, pushing down the covers, kicking off the covers, retrieving the covers from the floor, and sighing out loud several times throughout the night. Sleep, full sleep, would just never come, like there was a mean-spirited ginger child dangling something I wanted just inside my reach and then snapping it away when I jumped for it, singing "nahna nahna boo boo" the whole time.
Other than last night, I had a good weekend. We had baseball games all weekend, but with the terrible storms that rolled through, Friday night's got delayed until finally it was moved to Saturday. I only stayed out there through the first delay-- after that I left my husband there and went home to my couch. He enjoyed his "guy time." They ended up winning both on Saturday, but they ran really late so we were exhausted.
 |
| Ours is similar, but bigger, purple, & a tin roof. And no snow. |
Sunday morning we slept late, til 10:30, which may have something to do with my not sleeping last night, but you'd think all the walking I did yesterday would make up for it. At noon we parked at the baseball field, then walked all the way back to the town square for the local Spring arts festival, a good mile. We walked around admiring (and giggling at) the arts and crafts on display, ate some lunch from one of the local restaurant's booths, and listened to one of the bands while we ate. We then bought ourselves a handmade birdhouse, on a six-foot pole, which my husband had to carry all the way back to the car. And halfway there we stopped at a gas station for a bag of ice for our cooler, which I carried. We then had to walk up the hill from the parking lot to the baseball field (not an easy feat-- we are, after all, in the foothills of the Appalachians), and we sat in the sun until 5 pm watching our team squeak by in the 9th to win by one run. I'm still surprised we swept all three games.
My forehead is a little pink, but I learned my lesson last time and bathed in spf 50 before even leaving the car. Husband's nose is pink too, but other than that and some sore butts from sitting on the picnic table all afternoon at the field, we escaped our full weekend unscathed.
I also spent some time on Saturday in my yard taking pictures of Spring. My favorite are my blue-blue irises that remind me of Spring in the garden at my grandparents house as a kid, when I would help them plant or move their bulbs and then cut them to make beautiful bouquets. Purple irises were always my grandmother's favorite.
 |
| One of my irises |
 |
| A poppy, growing on my deck |
Our vegetables have also started to sprout, with the beans growing the quickest. They're the bigger ones to the right in the picture below. They've already doubled in size since this picture was taken, and there are twice as many too as more sprouted overnight. The big ones in the back left are my tomato and pepper plants. We're going to eat well this summer. That is if the deer keep away.
Your flowers are beautiful!! Mine aren't blooming yet, but I planted a lot of bearded iris alst year. The daylilies will be popping everywhere soon. Your raised beds look good. I made mine with fallen logs and other found stuff. Gives the area a very rustic look.
ReplyDeleteThe flower pictures are gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteI hate those kind of nights, particularly when they fall on a weeknight when I have to get up the next day. Better luck tonight.
Your pictures are brill. Been following your blog for a while and it makes me smile everytime I read it. Thanks for brightening my day :)
ReplyDeleteL xx