Tuesday, April 27, 2010

liar, liar...

So I'm 99% sure an employee (an intern) lied to me yesterday.

I'll preface this by saying I don't like this kid, Jim. He showed some promise at first, but after getting to know him, the "I'm a rich guy, I'm awesome, everyone loves me, listen to this awesome story about this time I was so hammered" attitude didn't fade away like I had hoped, and other employees have started to notice it as well. So as soon as his internship is officially over next Friday, we aren't planning on hiring him on full-time, just sending him on his merry way with his (tactful if unenthusiastic) letter of reference.

He's called in either sick or late a few times since he started in February, once I know for a bachelor party in New Orleans that took up more of his weekend than he thought it would, and a couple weeks later for that bachelor's wedding and a long trip back. I chalked it up to inexperience and immaturity, and again since we aren't planning to keep him on, I shrugged my shoulders.

As I posted yesterday, there were baseball games in town all weekend. When leaving the game on Sunday afternoon, on a high from our come-back win, my husband and I were gliding across a field to our car when a few douche-baggy drunk boys about 10 feet in front of us started hooting and hollering. I thought, "Hey, that one douche-bag looks a lot like Jim," and then, after he turned around to yell (and slur) something at a friend, I confirmed that it was him. No big deal, it was Sunday, and I don't really care. He didn't see me, and we went on to our car.

Jim didn't come in for work as usual yesterday morning. I wasn't going to chase him down-- it's his internship after all. I just made a mental note of it and thought about how I could get out of writing him a letter of recommendation at all. At about 4:45 pm he called me and asked if I had gotten his email, which of course I hadn't. After mumbling something about there being something wrong with his email account, he told me he had been in his hometown (about 2 hours away) this weekend as his dad was in the hospital again, and he didn't get back in time for work today.

So I was faced with a dilemma. Confront him right then and there? Or play it off and try to gather more intel? I played it off. After I got off the phone, I called his direct manager to ask him to try to get some information from the other interns. Two of them saw him at a bar on the town square Friday night, but no one knew anything other than that. Turns out, they don't like him much either and aren't social with him.

There's a chance he got called home Sunday night after the game (I saw him about 5 pm). But there's a bigger chance, given his history, that he partied it up a little too hard and needed an excuse. Karma will bite him in the butt, eventually, sure, and I hope it doesn't take his father to the hospital with it. But I'm unsure how to address this with him.

He doesn't work on Tuesdays. Tomorrow I think I'm going to casually ask him about his dad and try to gather when exactly he went to his hometown. If he says "all weekend" or pretty much anything other than "just Sunday night to Monday," I know I'll have him. But what do I do with him when I have him? He still has a project to finish. But I don't abide liars. I'll probably ask him to leave.

What would you do, how would you handle this? How do you handle liars in general?

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, wow. This kid sounds awesome. Ha...

    I see your delimma and am impressed with the way you've handled it so far. I'd have been tempted to drag the phone converstaion out a bit longer in an attempt to catch him then. But, as you said, he's just an intern and he doesn't have much time left. It might be easier to just ride it out and be done with him. I'd have a hard time with the letter of recommendation though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd ask him how he spent his weekend, give him a chance to tell the truth and then nail him (and his reference) if he lies to you, tell him what you saw and suggest that if he ever wants to grow up, start telling the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if it turns out he lied, which it sounds like he did, you could always explain your dilemma and ask how he suggests you handle it. One option is to allow him to finish his internship but not give him a letter of recommendation. Another is to simply let him go (I guess this is an option). Perhaps he can come up with a solution that would appease you both. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess it depends what you want (and what you can do legally). Do you just want him gone, no letter of recommendation? Do you think he's at all teachable? I'm inclined to think the kindest thing for this kid is to tell him the truth because he's only going to repeat this performance elsewhere if he doesn't get a grip (most likely on his drinking). I would need him to know he's not fooling anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really tough call, but I don't think you are doing him any favors by not calling him on it. Better to learn a lesson while doing an internship, rather than a paying position.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with what others here have said, ask him when he was with his dad, if he lies, call him on it, and suggest that he think twice before lying to his next boss. you have the luxury of being the bigger person here by teaching him something useful (if he chooses to learn). Come next friday you never have to see him again.

    Letter of recommendation? No.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This kid needs to learn a lesson in life, and especially about lying. I see his bad behavior as part of the bigger picture of his internship, and you should sit down with him as soon as possible, and tell him, in the kindest way possible, that he is not going to get anywhere in life if he behaves like that. Tell him you saw him at the baseball game. I think this is your opportunity to be a true mentor to him. Tell him you will give him a reference, but because of his poor performance you're not going to keep him on. It will be the best lesson he learned him his internship.

    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete