The universe answers our questions before they can even be asked sometimes. I'm in a sticky situation, relating to what I had posted about previously with my brother-in-law (read both here on March 29th and here on April 1st). Janna over at Something She Wrote reminded me of what I already know but what I needed to hear again this morning: just say what you need to say. The problem is I don't really know what I need to say. I know what I feel, but how to translate that into words?
So we finally got to see my brother-in-law last night. I'm pretty sure he was avoiding us, at least in part, because of the change that's occurred in him, but life just gets busy sometimes too. Unfortunately, husband was about 4 beers in (we were at a crawfish boil at a friend's house), so he was raring to go, to tell the whole truth. It started innocent enough, with some teasing about the new girlfriend in his life, but when we found out she wants to be a missionary for a living, it went south pretty quickly. The night ended with him sending about three pretty rude texts to his little brother. I haven't read them, but I believe they were along the lines of telling him that he's a dumbass for letting other people dictate his beliefs.
Again, I'd like to state, to anyone out there reading this who is a Christian, I have respect for your beliefs. This isn't about Christian vs. non, because little brother had always gone to church. This is about the deep-end he seems to have gotten himself into, this preachy, pushy, sect of Baptists, who risk life and limb to go to war torn countries to host Bible studies. There is real good done by missionaries all over the world, but these people aren't building schools or giving medical relief. They're preaching and "saving."
My husband is a super-rationalist. If he can't see it in black and white, or if he can't research it and find a fact verified in a couple different history books, or if he can't hear from a scientist (or two or three) exactly why something is the way it is, he's probably not going to believe it. Religion, organized religion that is-- there isn't even a question for him. He knows that organized religion is false. On spirituality, the questions of "Is there a God" and "Do we have a soul," he's more open to negotiation, which is why most Christians and other religious folks he doesn't have a huge problem with. But the purists and the ones who force their beliefs down other peoples' throats, they don't stand a chance with him.
I simply don't care. I don't care what Walt is, what he believes, as long as he's safe and happy and moving forward with his life. I don't agree with his religious beliefs either, but what difference does it make? As long as he's the same person.
Last night, laying in bed, husband kept saying "I give up" and "I just won't talk to him anymore until he changes his mind." This tore open the scar on my heart that was just starting to heal from when I kicked my own little brother out of my house. I don't talk to my brothers, and I think about that fact every day. Every day I wish that there was a way I could make my good-for-nothing drug-addicted brothers see what their lifestyle choices have done to my family, some way I could make them care about it again. But I can't. For my own sanity, I cut ties almost completely. But husband doesn't want to cut ties because of an issue like this; he's doing it to teach some kind of lesson, to prove some kind of point.
He's so damned stubborn. He thinks he's right, and that's all there is to it. I don't know how to get him to see my side, to see it from any other side but his own. He's making a mistake, I just know it. I told him over and over last night that we need to remain a positive presence in his life, that if we don't he'll fall further and further in with these people, and if we abandon him now, even if he does make it out on his own, he'll resent us. But husband is so determined that he's a "lost soul" now, that there's no point in even trying, so why not just write him off. He's only 21 years old. And he's the only brother I have now-- that's what hurts me the most. I don't want to lose another brother.
This isn't about me, though. This is about my husband coming to terms with the fact that not everyone agrees with what he thinks is right, that not everyone he loves will believe what he believes, but that doesn't make them bad people. He said last night he knows he can't control his parents' beliefs or his friends', but with his brother, who is 11 years younger, he thought he had some kind of chance to exert some sort of power to lead, guide, teach, but now that power is gone. His brother has grown up without taking into account the guidance he received from my husband, who wanted him to just think for himself, and it hurts him. Disappoints him. And scares him because these people are so far out of our comfort zone. He doesn't see how thinking for himself led him to the conclusion that this sect is right because they're so far outside of anything rational.
I really don't know what to do. I'm completely at a loss, which is odd for me. I'm disquieted, internally, and I feel this great need to solve this problem right away. Deb's post today at Catbird Scout helped me to put some of that into perspective, that maybe the disquiet is necessary, but it's maddening. I know there's some kind of lesson in it for me, but I want husband to get his lesson too. Last night I came to the realization that getting mad at my husband for his outburst wouldn't help. In fact, after I apologized for getting mad and tried to help him sort through his feelings, I could tell that having me to talk to was helping him already-- he went from mad to contemplative (and sad) as well. So I'm grateful to have had that inspiration, where ever it came from. But I need more, I need to know whether I should even be involved, whether I should try to contact and talk to Walt on my own, or what I can say to my husband to make him stop and consider other views. I feel lost right now, and upset, and frustrated by being lost and upset.
Oh honey, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this situation and those feelings of being lost and upset.
ReplyDeleteI sincerely hope that your husband doesn't cut ties with his brother over this. I think he'd come to regret it down the road, especially since his brother is still so young. All I know to tell you is to continue to be there for him to talk to - maybe his mood will continue to improve.
As far as whether you should talk to Walt? I'm not sure. I know he's your brother-in-law, and therefore your family, too - but your husband may see it as you going behind his back, and I'd hate for that to cause y'all any more stress.
You're in my thoughts today. Love to you girl.
This sort of thing is so hard. But I think you're right to be honest. It's easier on you that way.
ReplyDeleteWhile I am a Christian, I'm more apt to agree with you on belief. It's about so much more than the black and white way many get stuck in, and I appreciate your openmindedness.
And that's about all I can say without leaving a comment as long as your post. :)
Oh, Scarlethue, so sorry this is happening. I know about family conflicts among in laws, and my best suggestions is to just keep talking to your husband in a reasonable way, expressing your love for him AND for his little brother. Sometimes, when we are furious at our loved ones, we appreciate it deeply when we can vent to someone without having them turn against our loved one, too. Your brother in law is so young. And ironically, the more opposition he faces from his big brother, the more he is likely to dig in his heels. I so know what you mean about the kind of belief that insists that everyone else must feel the same way or they're going to hell. I, too, dislike that sort of intolerance and narrowness, that lack of open heartedness. But your brother in law has to find his own way. Don't go behind your husband's back, but maybe you can let your husband know you want to let his brother know that you can agree to disagree and still love one another. Try not to take sides. Try not to judge either brother's response to this. In the scheme of things, your brother in law isn't hurting anyone. He's not a bad person. You are in such a tough place. All you can do is love your husband, and help him not to abandon his brother. I think your husband will be grateful he didn't. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOh, and from personal experience, I would say that at a certain point, we have to detach from other people's sibling stuff. The roots of that relationship are deeper than anyone outside can ever fathom. And often, the relationships is more resilient than it appears. I hope that is the case here!
You are in a tough situation and all you can do be a sounding board for your husband. Maybe through voicing his feelings he can come to a resolution with his little brother.
ReplyDeleteMy husband's sister is a southern Baptist and has told us that we are condemned to hell. I have pretty much told her that she is a poor example of Christianity. I kind of looked wide-eyed at her and sweetly asked "What would Jesus do?" She called us ass-holes and ran crying to her deacon husband. I derived a lot of pleasure from it, I admit. My situation is so different from yours. Your brother-in-law is still very young and impressionable. At his age he is still exploring his own heart. What may be ideal today can change tomorrow. Remind your husband that his brother might need him should he become disenchanted with this young lady. Keep that door open........