I missed work yesterday-- how does one shower when one can hardly stand on the two crispy sticks formerly known as legs? I couldn't figure that out, and it hurt to move, so I got back in bed. On my back with no blankets. I worked from home, laying flat on the couch with my laptop on my stomach, only moving my legs to fix food or let the dog out. Last night was better, and today is better again. I am at work, in a cotton skirt that barely brushes my legs when I walk, which is not often since that's the only thing that still hurts to do. So far I've been called a "lobster," a "tomato," and a "strawberry," but I really feel more like boiled meat.
| My legs, which don't look as red in this photo as they do in real life... |
This isn't just dry-skin-itch, either. The doctor said it's more like nerve damage, that the nerve endings in the burnt areas are all thinking "itch, itch, itch" as they're healing. It feels like bugs are crawling and biting and stinging me all at once, and the only thing that stops it is constant rubbing so I feel something else. It's miserable. Don't tell me about skin cancer, I know all about it. I don't burn in order to avoid this itch. It's much more present-tense.
Since that last time, I've behaved. I bathe in SPF 45 if I know I'm going to be in the sun for even 20 minutes. The worst I've gotten since then was the little curve around my hairline on my forehead on my honeymoon-- that Mexican sun is hot. Every baseball season I buy a new bottle of 45, and by the end of the season, two months later, it's gone. I hadn't bought my bottle yet this year, and since it was cloudy and only in the 70s on Sunday, I just didn't think about it, until it was too late.
![]() |
| Me, sneakily taking a snapshot with my Mac at work today. You can see the line between red and pale on my chest here. So glad I had my cardigan, or this would have been as bad as my legs. |

You poor thing! Hoping some aloe gel will do you wonders.
ReplyDeleteOuchy ... I am of irish descent & have the pale skin to prove it! I have also been privvy to the red lobster look on several occasions, so I can feel your pain. I agree with Janna...aloe vera works wonders.
ReplyDeleteA though just come to mind... your are scarlethue & now you have a scarlet hue about you! He! He! He!
ReplyDeleteThose cloudy spring days will get ya every time. I used to sail a lot and have had my share of sun sickness. It's more than just a burn, something to do with overdose of something or other as well. My days of peeling skin are over. I'm now a shade loving land lubber.
ReplyDeleteOUCH! Bless your heart. I've only burned a handful of times in my life, but those few times were terrible. Hope you feel better soon. Keep some aloe in the fridge and slather it on frequently.
ReplyDeleteI loved Katherine's comment. You are now officially a Scarlethue. :-) Sunburns can be very painful. I always used to burn to a crisp when I was a kid, and my mother would slather on Noxema. It was very cooling. Since then, I have discovered SPF 65.
ReplyDeleteYou're very pretty -- be careful not to let the sun destroy the skin on your face. The best way to avoid wrinkles is -- ta-da -- to stay out of the sun. But, heck, who wants to do that?
Owwwiee!! That looks so sore. And then you have the peeling to look forward to. Yikes!
ReplyDeleteVery cute sandals, however.