I'm involved in a slight ethical/religious dilemma.
My husband has a little half-brother, Walt, who is barely 22, making him 11 years younger than my husband. Husband's always thought of him as his baby brother, even now at 22, because he was old enough when Walt was born to change diapers and babysit and calm his tears in the middle of the night. Walt is an only child in a lot of ways-- because his half-brother was 11 and half-sister was 14 when he was born, they were out of the house by the time he was really old enough to remember, and he is the only child of his mother, who essentially spoiled and coddled him.
Walt just moved out of the house last year. Of course my husband didn't understand this-- when he was 18, he was the first person to move into the dorm, and at Christmas and summer break, he was the last person to move out. He only spent that first Freshman summer at home, afterward always finding places to rent.
Walt, on the other hand, is a little bit of a momma's boy. He's shy, quiet, and not particularly keen on independence just yet. He's handsome, with his father's Roman nose (that his brother somehow missed) and his mother's tan, somewhat-Native American, skin. He's so smart, was taking lots of history courses last semester (down to just one astronomy class this spring) and he's a hard worker too, holding down a nearly full-time job at a furniture store. He's sweet, kind, and funny, and he's the best brother-in-law I could ask for. He loves his family and especially his big brother.
But he's a bit of a follower. This has always bothered my I'll-do-it-myself husband. He's tried so hard to get Walt to think for himself, to form his own opinions, to go out and meet people and have some fun. Fun for Walt, this wall-flower, is to stay at home and play video games. Or lately, and this is where the dilemma starts, to go to Baptist Student Union meetings.
Religion is one thing, Christianity is one thing, but Baptist? My atheist husband wriggles uncomfortably when this gets brought up. He's trying hard not to push Walt away, but at the same time he's always been one to express his opinions, and so now to have a brother who just last week went on a mission trip to Peru and then this week to post a new-age Christian song lyric as his facebook status... it's just too much.
We feel like he's slipping away from us, like someone has got his claws in him and is taking him into the uneducated darkness, away from the light of sanity and rationality. He's never had a big interest in religion before, so why now, and why Baptist? He can't tell us. He's not eager to tell us anything about it because he knows already how we feel. He's avoided his brother since he got back from Peru, and we all know why.
I don't want this to tear us apart or even put the tiniest of wedges between us. Even though my husband and I have fought so hard for our families to accept our beliefs, I'm having a hard time accepting his newly found religion. It's so completely opposite of who we are, even his mother is a little wary, and we don't understand it. I feel a little hypocritical, bashing his beliefs when I know how it feels to have your beliefs belittled. But it feels like he's regressing, and that if he just stopped and thought about it for a minute, out of the clutches of the BSU, he'd go back to the way he was-- interested in history and literature and learning and not just the b-i-b-l-e.
But even if he doesn't, even if he can't, I need to find a way to make this ok for my husband, some way to keep the two of them from drifting apart.
This is a tough situation... religious beliefs have come between a lot of people, as they tend to be a touchy subject. What, exactly, is it about his belief that bothers you and your husband? Has it come out of the blue...do you not feel it's heartfelt? He might possibly be reaching for something to have faith in, now that he's on his own.
ReplyDeleteI wish I knew what to tell you. I hope that you can all be tolerant of each others beliefs and not let this pull y'all apart.
This is a sticky subject. Just remember that you said he is a late bloomer and easily influenced. I wonder if there may be a young woman involved in his recent excursion. Baptist? My sister-in-law is Baptist, she is a deaconess. Based on my experience with her I wouldn't want to join a Baptist church myself, but it isn't really fair to judge a whole sect by her actions, is it?
ReplyDeleteMyabe you could talk to your brother-in-law and your husband seperately and explain to each of them that you don't want to jeopardize the relationship. Maybe they could agree to avoid that particular subject matter. Who knows, could be just a phase, part of finding himself. Good luck.
I really do know how to spell maybe.
ReplyDeleteAs Kathy says, this is a sticky situation. I believe he is being "recruited" possibly by someone who has some influence over him. Many religions are borderline "cult" in the way they recruit people. They call it "witnessing", and people who are sort of marginalized in some way are very susceptible to being recruited.
ReplyDeleteI do believe in spirituality, but I do not agree with organized religion.
I fear you have a long road ahead of you, if you wish to "rescue" this young man. I suppose, however, it's better than if he were to join a drug-gang. I do understand how you feel, though. Gosh.
I try so hard to not involve myself in heated discussions about religion and faith. It is one thing to talk about those things with friends who you know are open minded and can dig on it but it really divides people, something about it strikes at you. I don't know what the solution is here but I want you to know to not lose hope. Hang in there and all that jazz!
ReplyDeleteThis one is really hard. All of the advice given here is valuable. I had the experience of sending our daughter to a bible camp when she was a freshman in high school. It took months to be able to convince her we were not all going to hell because we wouldn't join that particular congregation. They used brain-washing tactics, such as keeping them up late talking about the church and then getting them up early in the morning to talk about church. The last night they asked them all to give their lives to Jesus and the church - warning them about the second coming, etc. It was a horrible experience for us. I believe in God, spirituality and all things good. I do not believe in organized religion if it divides and separates. But at this point, I'm not sure you have much of a choice other than to love him, and hope he will not be asked to part from his family of origin.
ReplyDeleteJust love him. He'll find his way better if the people who love him keep their arms open to him. I know you will, too.
ReplyDelete