This is, quite possibly, the last week of winter for us. I took a gander at the extended forecast this morning, and the high of 40 today goes up by about twenty degrees by the end of a week and a half. Of course that doesn't mean we won't have a random cold day again, but it looks like the continual cold is over. Last night when I left the office it was still light outside, making me recall the long days of summer from my childhood, when we'd stay out and play until dusk, when the street lights and fireflies finally came on.
Spring, summer, and fall agree with me. Winter does not. The cold dries out my skin, making me feel more like an alligator than a human, stands my hair on end with static, clogs and bloodies my nose, and zaps my eyes of moisture. I hate the cold, I hate dry heat inside, and I hate having to layer, to even think about layering, before going out for the simplest thing, like getting the mail. In about a month, I'll be able to walk down my driveway in nothing more than a skirt, t-shirt, and sandals, feeling the warm sun on my finally-soft skin, Bub running between my legs rather than huddling at the door looking at me like I'm crazy for even thinking of going out there.
We don't really have much of a spring or fall here-- a couple good weeks of 60s and 70s, then we're up to 90 pretty quick. It's ok though; I'm completely used to it. I love that feeling of getting in your car after it's been in the sun, and it's so hot you can't breathe. I like to sweat. Everyone here sweats. It's not a gross bodily function, it's just a sign of living in the deep delta South. I love fans and cool air conditioning and iced drinks served on a front porch in the shade. Come on, May.
But today, I've stolen the space heater from Emily, who is out of town, to try to keep my tootsies warm under my desk. I switch how I cross my legs, back and forth, putting one foot in front of the screen, and then the other, heating them up and then switching just before they sting. Cold toes are the worst.
Cold toes.... I still have cold toes. While I was in Minnesota the temp reached 35 and we couldn't wait to go outside! It was what we call "nice" out! It was 40 here in Missouri yesterday and was cold and miserable. Humidity makes all the difference! As long as I am still chilly I think I will go build another fire in the stove!
ReplyDeleteGREAT post... your writing invoked every sensation so vividly... i can FEEL it all - seriously, great post
ReplyDeleteI hope this is the case for us; I can’t wait for it to get just a little bit warmer, the weather where you can just sling on a light jacket instead of a big coat. Thanks for posting you gave me hope in these cold depressing days. I can’t wait your next post.
ReplyDeleteAll the best,
L x
Our winter has been so cold this year, apparently the coldest in 25 years so I can't wait for summer. Unfortunately we have to endure rainy spring first :(
ReplyDeleteI think I'll switch continent....