Tuesday, March 30, 2010

the new, healthy, beautiful me

I decided yesterday, after scarfing cinnamon toast crunch for breakfast and pasta for lunch, while sitting here blearily staring at my computer screen through carb-hazed eyes, that I need a change. A food change. Luckily I knew I was going to the grocery store that night, so I made my list with that in mind.

I did some research on lower carb vegetarian food. I'm not trying to lose weight or cut out all carbs (no way), but I get tired a lot, especially at the half-way point between meals, and I have a feeling all the carbohydrates I was eating either was the culprit or at least wasn't helping. Plus, by eating all the crackers and cookies and bread, I was missing out on fruits and veggies and other minerals. So today I'm diving head first into more balanced eating.

Want to know what makes a yummy, mouth-watering, filling breakfast in a flash? An English muffin with about a tablespoon of creamy peanut butter and a bunch of sliced, fresh banana, smooshed into a transportable sandwich. I want another one right now, just thinking about it.

For lunch, I found these really thin sliced sandwich buns in whole wheat. I love sandwiches, but sometimes I just want the bread to not take up so much room, so these are nice. I put a thin layer of olive oil mayonnaise on each slice, then I topped with a little salt and pepper. Next I layered about half a tomato cut into slices, then a bunch of spinach leaves, then two slices of soy bacon. It was so good, like a BLT, but really a S-BLT, I guess. With it I had fresh baby carrots with roasted red pepper hummus for dipping. And my afternoon snack was some low-fat string cheese (Sargento is the only way to go here) and about half a cup of purse-your-lips-sour green grapes.

Not sure what we're having for dinner yet. Maybe black bean and brown rice wraps with salsa, avocado, and low-fat cream cheese. Or maybe seared tuna steak with fresh green beans and cous cous. Or that asparagus frittata I've been wanting to try, with a big salad. I've got a bunch of choices. I feel better right now-- it's 4:15, and I've been nibbling on grapes for the past hour. I haven't felt tired once today. I hope this really does help me. Can't hurt, I guess.

And to make myself even more beautiful...

I have discovered Etsy. If you haven't visited this website before, please go check it out. There are hundreds and thousands of stores here, all individual sellers, most selling their handmade goods but some also selling vintage finds. You can search by your local area (click Shop Local and type in a location on the next page) to find people in your backyard selling goods. I was surprised to find 9 vendors right in my hometown, at least one of which I will be purchasing some beautiful jewelry from soon:

They also have purses, handmade or hand printed clothes, art, pottery, pillows, etc. I spent too much time today looking at purses and fell totally in love with this clutch:
It's so Southern-lady-proper and yet fun and funky too, isn't it?

The bad thing is I spent $60 on new sandals this weekend (which I am currently wearing and have had multiple compliments on), so my new-clothes fund is broke for another 30 days. I only allow myself $100 a month, and those along with the new dress put me a little over. But the dress with this purse and my new sandals all together... must wait til next month.

I have more self-control when it comes to shopping than it does eating.

I would also like to add a "Thank you" to everyone who commented on my post yesterday. Husband and I had a heart-to-heart about it, and we've decided we're going to avoid the subject with him completely and act like nothing has happened. That includes inviting him for our normal Sunday night Indian-food run, as usual. Hopefully if we just remain a constant and positive presence in his life, he'll know no matter what happens, he has us, he won't let anything come between us, and we'll be able to keep a close eye on him.

7 comments:

  1. I'm a vegan (I've been vegetarian my whole life and turned vegan almost 3 years ago)... my rule of thumb (even growing up) is to eat the rainbow. That means, something green, purple, blue, red, orange and yellow every day. With all of those colors as a daily goal, it's hard to make room for all the "other stuff" However, your diet seems very much some of the things I love (i.e. carrots and jalepano hummus) mmmm... great snack! Cherry tomatoes, grapes, spinach, blueberries with my granola and soy in the morning... oh man, I'm getting hungry....

    Good luck on both the healthy eating and the restraint in shopping (still one I am working on) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I keep trying to be healthier & get tripped up by my carb-mania.

    I love that bread - if you toast it it's nice & crispy, like eating a big cracker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you decided to keep things low key with your brother-in-law. Be the constant in his life, seems like such a small thing, but he will always remeber that you are there.

    Asparagus is my new favorite food! I am buying plants and hoping it will grow well. I simply wash it and snap the tough ends off, then brush it with olive oil and sprinkle kosher salt on it, then roast it in the oven. So good! If I had any leftovers it would be good cold in a salad or in a frittata. Never have leftovers, though. We ate over a pound, just me and my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your meals and snacks sound yummy!!!! I need to get better about what I'm munchin' on throughout the day too. Maybe carbs are making me sleepy. Something sure is.

    And isn't Etsy fantastic?! I get myself in trouble though... I get click happy and wind up buying more than I need :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been doing the same thing. Getting all the junk out of the house works for me. Healthy snacks are eaten when that's all there is, otherwise I eat all the wrong stuff, usually after 9:00 p.m!

    I think you have come to a very wise decision with your brother in law.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went through the same food revolution not too long ago. My husband needs to lower his cholesterol and I want my daughter to get all the nutrients that she needs. You've picked a great time of year to do this because of all the fresh produce that's starting to pop up. I'm with Kathy, we do a lot of veggies that way. It's easy and always fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've made me very hungry here! I hope you find the new food approach gives you more energy.

    Loving acceptance of the person, not necessarily agreement with beliefs, is where it's at. It sure sounds like you've made a wise choice for your family.

    ReplyDelete