Thursday, December 10, 2009

to kid or not to kid, and Grateful Thursday

I never played with dolls as a girl. I wasn't interested. Maybe because I had brothers, or maybe it was naturally built into my genes, somehow woven through them the inability to care about girly things. As a toddler I played make-believe offices or stores or superheroes, not mommy and babies. I had Barbies, but they saved my brother's GI Joes from impending doom. I liked She-Ra the best, The Princess of Power. She and the Barbies would gallop on My Little Ponies like Joan of Arc or Queen Elizabeth into danger, naked and fearless, to rescue the fallen soldiers from our enemies.

Later, I played sports. Softball, basketball, track. And I babysat, but I took on the kids no one else would, the wild ones that scared other babysitters away, that threw baseballs at my head and tried to smother me with pillows. I was never afraid of discipline, and I like to think that I was the only strong adult figure in those kids' lives. Maybe I brought them some kind of structure.

I recognize the fact I never had nor developed any kind of maternal instinct. I'm distant with children. I feel myself not letting go, not being comfortable, because I don't understand them. In a way, I was never a child, or at least I don't remember being a child, so it's hard for me to connect. I want them all to be little adults, not irrational, easily confused, sticky. Having a conversation with a three-year-old is tasking to me-- I get nothing out of it other than frustration. I don't think Oh, how cute. I think God, someone teach this thing how to pronunciate.

One of my friends does have a little boy with whom I have a deeper connection. As a baby, he amazed me with how quickly he took to things like blocks and shapes and colors. Unfortunately, they've raised him a bit too much in front of the tv, so now all he really seems interested in is Wubzy and Dora and Blue. He still isn't talking much. But when we babysit, I turn off the tv, and I see the wheels in his powerful little brain start turning again. I think if my kids were like that, quiet and reserved and thoughtful, I'd be fine, but you never know what you'll get. Just ask my mom.

I would be a good mother. Unconventional for sure, but I would raise intelligent, open-minded, and outspoken kids. While watching A Christmas Story last night, the scene where the kid yells fudge made me think about what I would do if a child of mine, age 9, cursed like that. I think I would laugh. They're just words. I would tell him not to use them in public because other people don't understand, but there would be no soap eating, no punishment. Other parents would hate me, wouldn't they? I am not status quo and would not raise children by the status quo.

I was struck this morning on the way to work with the thought that maybe I don't want kids because I'm not ready to grow up. I do not want to be an adult. Marriage was easy because my husband is my best friend. It's like playing house with the cute neighbor boy. Buying a house? Well, you have to live somewhere. And work? I work for the youngest company I've ever seen, my boss being a year younger than me, and we sit around in our pjs and eat sushi. It's almost like playtime in here, even when we're doing serious work.

I had a dream last night-- that's what started all this. I was tasked, in my dream, with raising a litter of puppies. But somehow in my dream they turned into a baby, and I was laying in bed on my side with a baby in the crook of my arm, staring down at this creature feeling completely out of place and scared. Sure, that's probably a natural feeling for a new mother. But I'm not ready for that, not in the least. I woke up thinking about my friends, so many of whom are pregnant right now. I had an old friend from high school friend me on facebook yesterday, and her profile picture is her in a hospital bed with a two-year-old at her feet and a newborn in her arms, her happy husband's head sticking in from the side of the frame. All I can think when I see a picture like that is How? How did we get that old? How are they ready for that? How are they ok with that picture and I'm not? What's wrong with me?

All I want to do is run away with my husband to Italy, live free and easy, never grow up because I never have to, like Peter Pan and Wendy. Am I missing out on something? Either way I guess I'm missing out. But raising children of my own, teaching and influencing them to be good people, which the world so desperately needs right now, is something I feel like I might want to do someday, I just worry I'll be too old by the time I feel old enough. And my husband may never feel old enough.


So today I'm grateful for the freedom to make this choice. Just twenty or thirty years ago, when my mom was having kids, it was still expected of every woman to bear children at some point. While still today I get some strange and quizzical looks as I announce my desire to not have children, most people have at least heard it somewhere before and even know someone who's making the same choice. Women, while we still struggle for freedom, have never been as free before as we are now.

I'm also grateful for this forum in which I can compose and organize these thoughts.

Lastly, I'm grateful for my peace of mind in knowing whatever I chose, I'll make it work. Heck, even if motherhood choses me against my will, we'll be fine. We have a strong relationship built on trust, respect, and love, so no matter what's thrown at us, we'll survive and be stronger on the return. While having a baby would change our lives forever, I know we are both the type of people that will see the good rather than the bad, and we'll turn whatever happens into a happy and fulfilling life.

14 comments:

  1. It's funny how actually having a child can change your entire perspective. When my husband told me he was ready to start trying I said okay, thinking it would take awhile and I'd be ready. A month later I was peeing on a stick saying, 'oh shit. What am I going to do with a baby?' And this is all after I knew what I most wanted, eventually, was to stay home and raise children.

    Children change your life in a million ways, some wonderful, some less so. Part of my hesitation was that it meant I could no longer be so selfish. I was right; life doesn't run on my desired schedule so much as it runs on the schedule of necessity. I've discovered that I'm okay with that; it works for me. That's not to say it would work for everyone.

    I'd guess you and your husband are young enough that you don't have to make this decision anytime soon. And there are always alternatives to having your own kids. You can choose to be the cool 'aunt' figure or you could adopt or simply donate your time to a kids shelter where you get to spread your wisdom and wonderfulness and then escape. The options are out there whenever ya'll feel like making a decision...

    This was a very interesting grateful list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having kids is amazing if you want them but even if you do it's certainly hard to hang on to 'yourself' in the middle of the inevitable domesticity. Sometimes I really feel as if the bit that's really me - the person who I was when I lived on my own for many years - is buried underneath lots of other stuff which has kind of crept up on me. That selfless thing can take it out of you. Luckily for me in the end there really are rewards which make up for the other losses - at least most of the time. Your post was interesting and thought-provoking, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love this post... so honest!! And I have to tell you, I feel much the way you do about actually raising a kid. While I am elated at the fact that we're having a baby that we planned for, I don't imagine myself to become like the other parents I see around me. I want a smart, clean, creative child that is free to grow into it's own personality in his/her own way. I detest the children at restaurants who's parents allow them to scream and throw food, not to mention the ones who's parents let them run wild in public coughing on me and touching my clothing with hands sticky with god knows what. Am I naive? Maybe, but there's no real rules for raising a child, so we all just have to do the best we can. If you decide someday that you want to have kids, I think you'll be great at it. Not because you'll "finally be grown up enough" but because you're honest, have a loving relationship with your best friend/husband, you're forthcoming, and true to yourself. What better environment than that for any kid to grow up in?? :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband & I made the decision shortly after we got married to not have children. We have a lot of reasons - but not wanting to grow up & wanting to do our own thing are high on the list LOL. At first we were frequently asked when we were starting our family. But as we were pretty clear - & as we got older - that stopped. I know that there are blessings to having children - but even those blessings seem selfish to me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really enjoyed this post.
    yet again, i felt like you were a kindred spirit ~ i just found myself nodding throughout your writing!

    it is becoming more and more apparent my husband and i are unlikely to have biological children of our own, and so the desire and reasons behind our intention to have a family has really been opened up. and it is odd because, on the one hand i believe and feel all that you have written here, particularly: "All I want to do is run away with my husband to Italy, live free and easy, never grow up because I never have to, like Peter Pan and Wendy."
    yet on the other hand i would be lying if i said there wasn't the teeny tiniest moment each month i pray for a miracle.

    i agree, either way i am sure we do miss out. but so long as we are grateful for the choices we make, and own the ones that may be forced upon us, we will always have something to be grateful for.

    thanks for articulating a complex issue so wonderfully :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had all five of my children before I was 25. It just sort of happened, I guess I am very fertile. As much as I love holding babies and watching them grow, I knew I was done at 25. I figured we were still young enough to be able to have a life after all the children grew up. But, life happens and we ended up raising our grandson and while my youngest was preparing to graduate......I was the 'mother' of a kindergartner. I would be lying if I said that I didn't resent it. I gave up a job I loved and became a stay at home "mom" again. All that freedom to do all the things we could not do when we had young children had once again disappeared. It is all very complicated, this thing called life and I can sum it up for you with what I told my grandson's second grade teacher...... "He is the biggest blessing and the biggest curse of my life."

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't have as much control, or influence, over how children turn out as you think. Sure, you can teach them things like respect, responsibility, etc., but they come into the world with their own personalities and little you do can change that. It's what makes it great. It's what makes it miserable. But once you have them, nothing compares.

    What you say about travel and freedom is true. The cost of a child is about the cost of a Ferrari. It's your choice. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound wise to me. There is nothing wrong with not having children. For me, I can't fathom a life without mine, but I am a mother at heart and always wanted to be. I applaud your honesty and always enjoy your thoughts here!
    I am keeping my bloga fter all. THANK you for your not!
    xxMT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops, that would be. THANK you for your NOTE :)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could have lived forever without having kids. My H wanted them more than I didn't. It's been a life changing decision. Would I do it again ? Not sure ..

    If you aren't sure, wait. I know a lot of people who travel and have a grand life without kids.

    It's a lot of work & and you can't change your mind once they are here. They are cute when they are little and become bratty teenagers when they are older. Just saying ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't help but answer from the perspective of my education in family studies and that is that not everyone needs to be, nor should they be, parents. A child should be wanted in a very fundamental way. If you are unsure, then wait. And if you never want them, then don't feel guilty. It's just the way you are wired. My older daughter wanted a baby for ages - now she has one and loves being a mother, but it was a very big transition, believe me. My younger daughter has said since adolescence that she does not want to have a baby, despite being wonderful with children. I have finally accepted that fact. She is only 22, so that may change - she has always been a late bloomer. But the simple fact is that not everyone make good parents. And those that do it because they are trying to fulfill some societal ideal are not the best parents. Plain and simple - follow your instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never wanted children either and have never regretted the decision. Or rather the lack of decision. It just wasn't going to happen and I never had to think about it. Still don't really.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Madame DeFarge and I are twins. I've been happily married for 16 years & 9 months, and have never ever wanted a child. Even when I was 15 I knew I didn't want to have children, and I've never regretted it for an instant. Have a life of your own and love it. There are plenty of other ways to contribute to society.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BTW, here it's 9.19PM (Sydney, Australia!).

    ReplyDelete