Wednesday, December 9, 2009

your 15 second diversion for the day and Veggie Kitchen

You know, sometimes you just need to tickle a cat, and all the problems in the world just melt away.


Ok, now let me wipe the tears of laughter off my face...


Because everyone either now has or is about to have family at home, and/or everyone has had or is about to have a holiday party to host or attend, I thought today I would post my favorite holiday cookie recipe. I first ran across this recipe two years ago and have made them every couple of months since then. They're not terribly bad for you, the recipe makes a LOT so you can give a lot away and still keep a few, plus they keep a long time as well. So they're pretty perfect, unless you're one of those terribly weird people who doesn't like oatmeal (like my mother).

Scarlethue's Oaty Oatmeal Cookies
1 stick of butter, softened (yes, use butter, no fake stuff)
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 cups old-fashioned oats (in the blue cylinder with the Quaker guy's face on it)
1.5 cups all purpose flour
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsps ground cinnamon
sprinkle of salt (little less than a tsp)
Here's where the fun starts. You can add in any combination of these things or really anything you like:
dried cranberries, chocolate chips in dark, milk, or white, macadamia nuts, raisins, chopped pecans or almonds, etc. In total you can add a cup and a half up to 2 and a half cups of these extras, in whatever combination you like.

In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs and stir. In a separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients (oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt), and then slowly add the dry mix to the creamed mix a little at a time. After the two are all mixed, add in your extras. (My favorite combination is 1.5 cups dark chocolate chips and a cup of cranberries.) Drop by tablespoons onto a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Put them on wire racks to cool.


I especially like these because of the high ratio of oats to flour. It feels more like you're eating oatmeal rather than just a basic flour cookie with some oatmeal mixed in. And I love the flexibility of the "extras." It makes this a good recipe to give to friends-- I have a friend who loves white-chocolate-macadamia-anything, and he devoured these cookies when I added those two in for him. I've also added in some honey before, and it was good but pretty sticky. I think to do that, you need to add in a bit more flour in order to balance it. Something to play with. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy!! I was just looking for a new cookie recipe... the MIL has invited me to her friend's Christmas cookie swap party, and I didn't want to just go boring old chocolate chip. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love oatmeal in any form! You know, cake, cookies, bread and a big steamy bowl of oatmeal with nuts and raisins cooked in it. Mmmmmmm. I think this will be my supper tonight, since I am alone and can have anything I want. Well anything that is currently in my pantry since I will not be braving the icy roads and wind gusts of up to 60 mph. The weather outside is indeed frightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll make a batch tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete