1) My older brother is coming to visit, unexpectedly.
I already knew my little brother was coming, with his girlfriend, for a pre-Christmas visit as it's so expensive to fly around Christmas itself. He'll be staying with my parents for a few days, taking his girlfriend down to New Orleans, introducing her to Southern food and his wild friends, then he'll head up my way and stay with me a couple nights before moving on to her family's home for the remainder of their vacation. I was looking forward to a couple days with him-- I haven't seen him since last Christmas, and I'd like to get to know this girl who seems to have stolen my loner little brother's heart.
Now, the older is thrown into the mix. Broken up with his finance who just took her stuff and moved out yesterday, he's more despondent and pathetic than usual. I have a hard enough time staying sane on a twenty minute phone conversation with him, much less actual person-to-person interaction. He won't be staying in my house though, thankfully, but because he has no job and because she took the majority of the furniture and accessories in his apartment, he has no reason to return any time soon. My mom thinks he'll go back when little brother goes back, but who knows. A condition of his returning home was that he sees a local doctor and gets an antidepressant prescription for the depression he's tried to "handle" on his own his whole life (until now he had been adamant that he would not medicate himself) so hopefully that's the silver lining I'm trying so hard to see here.
2) I had to fire someone yesterday.
I hired him about six weeks ago to be our flash animator and work from home, and in that time he's promised a ton of work and delivered very little. At first we chalked it up to his creative, artistic personality, that he just needed to be coddled and stroked a bit and then his genius would prove itself. After a while we started to realize that not much of his work was being done, and what was done wasn't on time, so we assigned a manager to watch him and his work as closely as he could. It didn't help, and it drove the manager crazy trying to find him all the time. Both Monday and Tuesday this week we called and called, trying to get him on the phone, but finally last night I had to send an email. I suppose I had it easy that way, since there was no face to face meeting, but it was still terrible. He emailed me right back saying he understood. It's like he wanted us to fire him.
That was my first firing and hopefully will be my only one for a long, long time. I guess he made it easy on me, so there's my slightly tarnished silver lining.
3) A coworker nearly got scammed by a fake homeowner.
She's been looking for a home to rent for herself and her three little girls. She's going through a divorce, so she needs to move quickly and stay in the county school district. It hasn't been an easy search. There was the cute little cabin next to a field of run down trailers, a nice house but right on the highway with no yard and no place for the 4 year old to play, and now this.
It's a beautiful house in a friendly neighborhood-- they even have a community pool. The advertiser told my coworker that he was a pastor on a mission trip to West Africa, and he needed someone to watch his house and yard while he was gone. He wanted someone he could trust, so he sent her a homemade application with strange questions like "Do you promise to take care of the yard," and "Have you ever been in trouble with the police," all written with poor grammar and spelling. Her second clue was that he kept putting off her specific questions, especially when she asked about getting access to the house (she had already peeked through the dark windows) and about a lease to sign.
Finally, last night when he asked her to wire money through Western Union to Africa before she had even seen a lease or the inside of the house, she knew something was up. To trip him up, she asked him through email if the red electrical box on the front of the house controlled an invisible fence, knowing from experience that invisible fence boxes are always placed inside the house and are usually black, not to mention there was no red box on the front of the house. When he said, "yes," she had him. Today she called the police and the neighborhood homeowners association who told her that someone lives in that house, and they already knew about the scam. They thanked her for forwarding her emails from him and the original ad.
We live in a very small and trusting town. Everyone knows just about everyone, or at least they know each others' faces. Things like this just don't happen in places like this, or at least they didn't used to.
She's out right now looking at two more houses, one pretty far away but owned by a nice old lady, and the other in a picturesque neighborhood of large condos practically within walking distance of the office. Hopefully one of those options will work, and she'll find her little silver lining as well, shining bright in all the darkness she's had to combat in the past few weeks.

I sure hope your brother will try the medication - it works miracles for some people.
ReplyDeleteWhen Dr. M & I moved to our new town we struggled a bit because we didn't know that much about the different neighborhoods. Fortunately it was somewhat easy to tell the places we WOULDN'T want to live, but knowing the part of town that would be best for us was kind of hard. We lucked into the house we found - great neighbors, a teeny bit of diversity, convenient to the grocery store... Hope your coworker has some luck on her own search!
Sounds like you've had a busy month, and an even busier one to come. Hope it works out for your brother. Depression is a terrible thing. So debilitating. Don't suffer much with it myself, but I've been close to enough manic depressives to know how it affects them and everyone around them. Looks like the silver lining for you will be a quiet Christmas as all the confusion will be gone.
ReplyDeleteTry to have a good visit with your brothers and I hope that the older one gets the meds he needs.
ReplyDeleteI remember the first time I had to fire someone... I hated it!
Love that cloud and sun picture!
ReplyDeleteOh my, that's a horrible story! I've heard so much about those African/Western Union scams, but only through e-mail, never involving houses. I'll be thinking of your co-worker. What a situation she's in.
The firing sounds like it went as well as a firing can go. I know there have been times in my life where I've known I was forcing someone to take action through my own inaction - and was glad when they finally put me out of my misery. Maybe your hunch on him expecting it is spot on.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter was caught by the same scam while looking for a house to rent in Portland, OR. Same MO - of course she didn't send money and she notified Craigs List and they shut it down. Geeze
ReplyDeleteSorry about your brother and the firing.
I think this article is right on target. A lot of good points and advice on the subject. I have found that when doing my research, sites like this offer the best unbiased opinions and are very good in helping me make a decision. Another fine source of information on a Bark Collar, Dog Fence and Pet Door is available from this handy guide on Pet Supplies.
ReplyDelete