Thursday, April 2, 2009

drops in the bucket, and Grateful Thursday

That line of storms was nasty. And I got stuck going to pick up lunch right about the time that big yellow and red blob in the middle was right above my office. Luckily I had my trusty classic 3/4 tan trench coat and an umbrella, so only my feet, in my shiny gold leather flats, got wet. The bottoms of my jeans are still damp. But I was glad I had these shoes and not any others, because these are impervious to the wet, what with all the patenting and such.

I tried to dress up a little today. My boss's mom is in the office. She seems sweet, but she puts me a little on edge. He values his mother's opinion very highly. Today has gone fine, other than the rain. And the fact that my main coworker, the one I rely on the most because our jobs are so linked, has been out sick since Tuesday with strep throat and the flu. I only saw her for about an hour on Monday. I'm hoping I didn't get it-- surely I'd already be sick if I did. With the storm, though, she hasn't been answering emails from her house as her connection went down, so that's been difficult.

Other than that there isn't much going on around here. My brain feels... quiet lately. I haven't been sleeping well the last couple nights so that might have something to do with it. I'm asleep in here. The animals woke me up twice last night (snoring and licking and then sliding a shoe of mine around the floor, this left gold shoe. I had to search for it this morning) and the night before last I couldn't turn off my brain. I woke up very hot, threw off all the covers, went to pee (because yes I'm like a old woman already and I have to pee in the middle of the night), and came back to bed, all in a half awake, half asleep stupor. My unconscious mind was creating stressful events at work and trying to fix them, while the back of my mind, the awake part, knew none of it was real and that I just needed to shut up and go to sleep. I struggled with that and the sheets for a good hour before I finally exhausted myself.

Hopefully tonight I'll have a good cry after Grey's Anatomy (because what else is that show for other than providing fodder for a cry), and drift off to sleep uninterrupted. And hopefully it will storm again like they're saying it might-- nothing's more soothing that rain drops on a window.

How in the world did I forget it was Thursday?? I'm adding this to the bottom of my earlier post I think, since it's only been up an hour or so, and I'm going to make it a quick one too.
1) There's only 45 minutes left at work. What a day.
2) The rain. It makes everything green again.
3) Emails from my father today. We've been discussing photography, photo storage, weather, and my mom. I'm grateful for my relationship with him.
4) That my boss has decided to research office health insurance. Yay!
5) Japanese food. Fried rice makes the best lunch.

2 comments:

  1. Your gold flats sounds adorable, and the fried rice yummy. Mm-mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insomnia has been a frequent visitor for me, too. I can go to sleep, but if I get awakened, can't go back to sleep. Three dogs in the bed....not one night goes by that I don't get woken up!

    ReplyDelete