I have two brothers, an older and a younger, both by three years. This is about the elder. I distinctly remember, in detail, several bits from my pre-teen years, which is odd for me and my mushed-up memory. These memories come back suddenly, like a bad dream lingering in my waking hours, like a foul taste I can't brush away, Nirvana mumbling Smells like Teen Spirit in the background. The time he cussed out my mom, ran and locked himself in his room, my dad taking a hammer to the door, me laying in my room with a pillow over my head to drown out the banging. The day he left for rehab. The day I found my mom crying alone at the kitchen table in the dark, a broken plate on the white and green linoleum floor. The day he threw a brick at me, the time my new computer went missing, the day my grandparents got back from their Alaskan cruise to find their kitchen trashed, dirty pots and pans, muddy footprints, drug residues everywhere.
But I don't pause on these memories too long when they surface. I stuff them back down. I've cried enough for him, for those days, for the lost years, for my lost brother. I wish I could say the same for my parents. My mom has made her peace, she's released him from her life, he is no longer her baby. How hard that was to do I can only imagine, and I never want to know for sure. My father can't do that. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He chooses to keep sending money, keep talking to him, keep trying, keep believing in him. The rest of us have given up, but he can't. He's an enabler, sure, but what else can he do?
As for drugs, I don't know what he's on and what he's not. Nothing hard as far as I know. He's in Portland, I haven't seen him in two years, and I haven't talked to him since Christmas. Even then it was a stolen conversation on someone else's phone, two minutes at the most, hardly long enough to say Merry Christmas. Before that, July, his birthday, and no more than 30 minutes. I have nothing to say to him. Talking to him is like visiting those days again. I shrink down to 12, I whoosh back to being that sad, shy, lonely little girl. He makes me feel small and helpless without trying, twisting my words to make me seem mean and hateful. I avoid that, like crossing the street when you see an old enemy coming. Who wouldn't? I avoid conversations about him too. I don't want to know what lies he's told, what failures he's had, how much money he needs now.
I suppose it's not as bad as it sounds here. He supposedly is in school. He's supposedly engaged, to a tattooed thrift-store employee with a ten-year-old son. He's even supposedly in counseling. But I am conditioned to believe nothing. I doubt he's ever picked up a book-- that tuition my parents sent? Probably paid for his Vegas trip. I've seen the pictures on myspace. That woman? She exists, but I doubt they'll ever marry, and him, a step-dad? Counseling? Yeah, right. The boy who wouldn't talk to his rehab counselors, wouldn't talk to the four different psychiatrists he saw, wouldn't talk to my parents or anyone who was trying to help. Another ploy for money. He's a manipulator. A classic manipulator. And I will no longer be manipulated.
I used to miss him. I feel cheated. As a child, he was a typical protective older brother. He was supposed to remain that, I was supposed to be able to turn to him for advice, for love, for protection. I turn away from him now. I wonder how I would feel if something terrible happened to him, if he died. I think I'd feel the same way I feel now: angry, sad, and cheated. Maybe a little faith remains, a little hope that one day he'll grow up and be my brother. I would cry for the loss of that, and I would mourn for my parents, more than I already mourn for them.
There are worse things that could have happened to me. We all have tragedies. This was, and still is, one of mine. I want it to go away, and I want it to stay, because it's all I really have of him.
It must be so sad to lose someone who isn't really lost in the true meaning of the word. To want to reach out to them and hold them close to you, but to know in your heart they are untouchable and your comfort will not touch them.
ReplyDeleteThis is the time to allow God to do his work and for you to know your prayers will be answered.
Peace my dear friend, and peace in your brother's heart too.
i was moved by your post.. although my experience is nothing compared to what you are currently dealing with its somehow the same. only that..i am the "lost sister" to my siblings. those were tough years.. i lost myself in the process and took my family for granted. I think what I really want to say is.. there is hope. Everyday that I am given I make it up to my sisters.. I try to be the big sister they always longed for..
ReplyDeleteOh this is such a tragedy for families. Each and every person loses what might have, should have been. My heart aches for all of you in this. Your mother who has had to let go of her son that is no more to have her own life back (which she fully deserves, though she deserved as a mother so much more than she has gotten). Your father who can't quit holding on to a thread, no matter how fragile or spider web like, he can't let go of his "boy," and I wish he could but could never blame him for not.
ReplyDeleteAnd you, watching the pain in those you love, and holding your own, caused by this brother and his wandering.
Your younger brother who has no older, but only an immature shell of what should have been his by birth order.
Him caught in the lies and things he has stolen. Him with a demanding, controlling toxic love that slowly erases him.
Each of you have been ripped off, cheated. so many families know the heartache yours carries. And I wish with all my being it wasn't so.
Touchingly, honestly told, Scarlethue. xxMeredith T
Caught your post today and again, I enjoy your writing style.
ReplyDeleteI, too, am sad for your loss, but what can you do, but hope that one day, he'll wake up and realize how much pain he has inflicted on everyone around him?
I appreciate your honesty and putting it out thereness that most people are unwilling to do.
There is dysfunction in every family. I see that yes, you love him, he's your brother, but you are making positive steps for yourself to not continue to enable him or hinder his recovery.
Be well and thank you, again, for sharing....
How sad for him, for your parents, for you. So heartbreakingly honest. We all have pains, I very nearly lost my husband to narcotics. Funny how fast your life can turn into a bad 'made for TV' movie. Well, not funny, it was a hellacious 5 years but he conquered his demon. We hope.
ReplyDeleteThe counselor told me they have to hit rock bottom, lose everything before they can recover...and most, nearly all, never do. Most just don't want to. So you either hold them up or let them fall. Neither feels good.
So sad. I feel for your mom. I don't know where my oldest son is and for a very long time I wondered what I did wrong as a mother. There is no instruction manual that comes with raising a child.
ReplyDeleteAwwww... your post breaks my heart. I know so many people who have lost a child or a sibling just this way. I have a wonderful nephew who has lost his way in life too, and he was the one child who was going to become an engineer or a doctor. Life had other plans, however. All we can do is to continue to love them, and to know that no one is to blame.
ReplyDeleteI have a brother like that. Currently in rehab. He replaced meth with alcohol. I have given up hope on the little brother with the most promise. We expected him to go to the Olympics. A lot of people did. He was so gifted. Now, we are just sad.
ReplyDeleteOh dear..this is so sad. When I saw the title I thought maybe it was going to be one filled with love and admiration for your brother.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear this.
I hope he finds some reason to live a fruitful life and move on.
I wish that especially for your father.