Friday, April 10, 2009

no place like home

A tumultuous storm blew through at about 2 a.m. The first big bang of thunder woke me up, and I don't know that I ever reentered REM sleep after that. I was stuck, floating, in that half awake/half asleep stage I find myself in all too often, where I know somewhere subconsciously that I'm sleeping in my bed, but my thoughts are dreamlike, silly, and irrational, and I can't get all the way back into sleep no matter how I try, like an old pair of favorite jeans obviously now too small no matter the contortions I do to squeeze into them. 

At some point, I remember distinctly, I believed our house was being blown down. I thought tornado was coming, and I had what was then a completely rational thought-- well, I'd rather stay here asleep and die then have to get up and run to the bathtub. That's way too much work. Plus our house is brick, so we're fine. I practically shrugged in my sleep.

Tornadoes are serious here. Just last year we had our town's industrial road leveled, about 2 miles from my house as the crow flies. So, no, that is not a rational thought. But there were no tornadoes, just a lot of howling wind and rain. 

My first thought on hearing my annoying beep beepbeep beepbeepbeep alarm this morning was how late I'm going to sleep tomorrow. But then I remembered that my parents are coming to town, and my dad wants to drive over to my great-grandmother's hometown, about thirty minutes from here, and do some grave stone rubbings. We've been waiting for a pretty day, and I think tomorrow may be it. We both got interested in our genealogy last summer, and he's decided to write a book about some of his side of the family. Plus he's a road-trip kind of guy. 

I wonder what my ancestors did 50 years ago, 100 years ago, when a tornado was a-coming. No brick houses for them, not that it really helps anyway. I know my Granny at one point had a root cellar-- a big hole dug in the ground, with wood doors over the hole, ala Wizard of Oz, and they would run to that any time the sky turned dark. They didn't have the news stations breaking into regularly scheduled programming to alert them to bad weather using highly sensitive and specialized radars that track clouds. They just looked outside and guessed. Not that I was taking advantage of any of those radars last night either. 

But I guess growing up here, being used to our weather, makes a difference. I know what a real tornado sounds like-- I've heard that freight train scream, and let me tell you, you don't forget it. I have to trust that even in my sleepy stupor last night, that sound would have forced me to wake and run for cover, Bub under one arm, my husband being pulled by the other. 

It's raining again right now, huge quarter-size drops, randomly banging themselves into the ground, one over there, six over here, the wind greatly diverting their usually straight course, their usual rhythmic pounding on the roof now sounding like a herd of small children playing a game above me. And just as quickly it's gone again, the sun shines through.

9 comments:

  1. Dear lord..I wonder how it must feel to live in such a place.I had never even seen a sea in my whole life before last october!
    hehe..I would never be able to shrug and sleep even if I THOUGHT storm was approaching!
    Have a good time with your dad^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is it you live? I live in Tennessee and there was threats today of a tornado. You were talking about people long ago and what they would do....well the house we live in was built in 1934 after the original house was destroyed in 1933 by a tornado. The house now has a small basement which we have gone to at least once during a storm. I'm like you though, If I'm in the bed I'm probably staying there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you deal with tornados?!?! They scare the ;ldj out of me!

    {sadly, I fell asleep in the middle of the first Office episode ...I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open. We recorded it but I missed every show last night:( ..I'm feeling better though ...thank you :)

    Have a nice weekend with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had a basement. I don't like storms. We had a basement in Minnesota. We had a bedroom with a king size bed and TV down there and would just sleep there if a storm was coming...only inconvenience was to have to go upstairs to use the bathroom. Thanks for the good thoughts about baseball games. Unfortunately, our busy season coincides with his baseball and I can't get away :( Have a good weekend with your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have known that type of tiredness too. I thought someone was breaking in and was just too tired to care...Now, that is exhaustion. Glad you are okay! And that you are in a house made for the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just moved from Minnesota, so I know that fear you are talking about. I spent many a night watching the "tornado watch" updates on television. I had my bathtub plan, etc. We were told to always watch for the "green horizon". If it's green - head for shelter. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the reality must be very different, but I've always wanted to see a storm like that. We had a marvellous thunder and lighting storm on our honeymoon. We were right in the middle of it and I wanted to stay out in it for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't begin to think how scary it is...driving in a storm alone already freaks me out sometimes... Hope for the best for everyone!

    ReplyDelete