Sometime later... was it high school or college? I decided I didn't want kids. No, that's too absolute. I never decided, I never had one coherent I don't want kids revolutionary light bulb. It was a gradual realization that came to me over years of dating unreliable and untrustworthy men, watching parents ruin children, watching this misogynist world ruin girls, and watching us all swirl ourselves and our planet into a garbage-heap of an oblivion. Not to mention not wanting to change my la-de-da ways and actually grow up. I can't remember the first time I thought the whole thought or said it out loud: I don't want children of my own, but there it is now.
It's a weird thought to have, so foreign to the way girls are raised, especially Southern girls, so bizarre. I should want kids. I should want to spread my love and my genes, mix them up with my husbands, shake them up and blow on them for luck, toss them out and hope for a seven. My brothers make me not trust genes, though, as the three of us, all so different, all came from the same place.
And having a baby, a pod inside me, like a leech, an alien life form, sincerely grosses me out. I know you don't believe me. No one does. Everyone thinks that I'll change my mind, blah blah blah, that one day I'll want my own, that I'll wake up one day and suddenly think Holy crap, I have to fill my house with red and yellow plastic toys and sticky fingers and squealing RIGHT NOW. I'm ok with not having a free moment for an original thought for at least the next 5 years until this thing can take care of itself plus the 15 or so years on top of that of financial and emotional support of someone I might not even like.
I didn't suddenly decide not to have kids on a whim, even though most people think that's the case. It was a studied, deliberate conclusion to which I came after years of thought. I'm leaving the possibility open, in my agnostic trust-nothing believe-nothing way, but I'm about 90% sure I will remain childless, at least children of my own. Adoption is another story, another post.
It scares me, of course it scares me, to think that I'll be old and alone one day, if having lost my husband too early I have no where to go on Christmas because we never had kids. But I can't live my life based on what-ifs. What I know now is that I am happy with the way things are. Having this puppy in the house this week (I'm keeping my parent's new dog until they can get up here to pick her up Saturday) has shown me that. Running around chasing that thing, trying to keep it from picking on the cat, peeing on the carpet, eating my shoes, on and on, I hardly get any rest, forget the chores and work to be done. And that's just a dog. Kids have tons more accoutrement and requirements. The tv shows they watch alone is enough to make me babble. I'm set in my ways, and I'm selfish, but at least I can admit this.
When I turn thirty, in three years, we're reevaluating. I feel like adoption will be the answer, though. I wish there was a way I could convince my friends of this inevitable fact, and my parents... they're another story. My dad's opinion my adopting one day, well, I'm still too angry to post about that.
It's a huge decision to make for anyone; one each should consciously consider with deep thought (and far too few people take it seriously enough).
ReplyDeleteAll that matters is what's best for you, in your life.
Similar thoughts and conclusions. Ironically, I confronted this, part of it, earlier today. I have friends that are mothers and they do not understand why I do not want kids, right now. When I say that I am selfish, they believe that, yes I am selfish and really terrible because of it. It is my choice, though.
ReplyDeleteYou have a lot of life to live, enjoy, ponder, love, discover and maybe one day, decide to have kids. Until then, enjoy!
I'm of the same opinion as you. I have never wanted children and I understand the alien life form thing too. My friend offered to let me feel her baby 'kick' and it was the weirdest feeling ever. I've passed all the way through to 42 without ever feeling the tick of the biological clock, for which I am eternally grateful
ReplyDeleteFrom a family science point of view? You are perfectly normal. Not everyone is cut out to be a parent. What is wrong is that too many people realize that too late. It sounds to me like this is well thought out. Many people have fulfilling lives without children. My youngest says she does not want children of her own. She has said this for years. I'm starting to listen. Maybe she will change her mind, maybe not. But we love her and will support her in whatever decision she makes. This is her life, just as yours is yours. Do what you feel is right for you. Your Dad had his life - he made the choices and decisions that were right for him. It's your turn.
ReplyDeleteI think the world is over populated already so I admire your decision. I also admire people who adopt children that are already here and need homes. There was a time in my life that I didn't want children. For me, I think, it was just I was not with the right person at the time even though we were married. Later, with a new husband, I found my desires had changed and we have two kids.
ReplyDeleteLife is very different with children than without. I've often wondered how mine would have played out without them, not that I would make a different choice.
This is a personal choice for you and your husband. Let nobody persuade you differently!
ReplyDeleteAdoption is great! The more people do it the less kiddies are without families, it makes sense. 100% good for you girl, it's your life it's your decisions and if you want to do it or not whatever the situation it’s your right as a human being to decide. Nice post. You know what you want ^-^ I admire that. xx
ReplyDeleteI was raised in south Georgia and as a child all I ever wanted to be was a housewife and mother. My wish came true...but I have to wonder what my life would have been like had I been exposed to more options. I have 5 children from 3 marriages. Not exactly a dream come true. My older two children lead lives that are appalling to me and we don't see each other or communicate at all. I love them...but I don't like them and am happy to not see them. I sometomes feel guilty that I feel this way because I can't imagine my life without my 3 younger children and their children. As for adopting.... my son and his wife adopted three little girls as infants and I don't know that I could love them any more if they were their natural children. They grab my heart just as easily as the rest of my grandchildren. Having or not having children is a personal decision. I am guilty of wanting more grandchildren and will speak my mind; but I respect the choices my children have made. Your Dad is like all other parents and wants to assure himself that he is making sure that you don't make a "mistake" you might later regret..... Parents are like that. The hardest thing I have to do as a parent is watch my children face the consequence of their actions.
ReplyDeletei'm so glad you're atleast sure of what you feel and want from life.definately!do exactly what your instincts tell you to do,i've never known a truer voice within our cage.once we're GONE who cares?????your life is your own,right?then just live it your own way.please yourself first!
ReplyDelete