Thursday, April 9, 2009

Grateful Thursday, and other random thoughts

I made thirty angel food cupcakes last night, and frosted them in pastel vanilla-- pink, blue, green, yellow, and purple, although the purple isn't very appetizing. It's kind of gray-purple. Still tastes good though. Advice: when making angel food cupcakes, remember that angel food doesn't rise as much as other cakes, so fill the cups almost all the way full. I ended up with a couple one-inch tall cakes. Those stayed at home.

We're having an office everyone-cheer-up and stop-being-stressed-out Easter party today, with tuna salad or chicken salad sandwiches, deviled eggs, pretzels, cupcakes, and candy. Our new software is due out soon. Everyone's a little on edge.

My boss gave me a little blue monkey with white bunny ears. Sounds weird, but he's so cute. When I walked in this morning, he said "Do you like monkeys or lions better?" and because he's the king of weird, philosophical questions, I took way too long to answer, exploring in my head the implications of one answer over another. "It's not a difficult question...." Oh, but it is. I said monkeys, and voila, a blue monkey appeared on my desk.

I've been obsessed lately with cutting the split ends out of my hair. I don't know why my brain does this. I pick up on something, like how dry my hair is, and it becomes a mini-obsession for a month or so, where every day I have to cut a few out. Or I'll get attached to a certain food and eat it every day until I'm completely sick of it, or I'll wear a certain pair of shoes every day until other people start to notice. 

Last night as I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep, I was seeing split ends and cupcakes dancing before my eyes. My mind was not at peace. Too much purple frosting. 

1) The coworker who's idea it was to have this party today. I've been looking forward to it all week. 
2) That tomorrow is a holiday, and although I have to work, it will be a quiet day so I can catch up on quickbooks. I'm so behind.
3) The maple tree across the street from my office window. It's such a shock of maroon against all the green, and I love to watch it blow in the wind.
4) My husband
5) Baseball season. It's a cheap way to hang out with friends. We pay $150 at the beginning of the year for season tickets, and maybe $10 on groceries a weekend (we potluck), $15 on beer, and the entire weekend is done, taken care of, planned out. Plus we get to sit in the sun.

And for this. It's stuck in my head today, probably because I've listened to it every day for a week. There we go with that again. Her voice is so... healing.

10 comments:

  1. I love stevie Nicks! Love her. And this is a newly classic song.

    This was a great post. It made me laugh as I know what you mean. I do! Maybe my husband and I should become baseball fans. sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just wanted to mention that i enjoyed your comment on maegan's post--you're absolutely right that it's about our reaction to the situation. my little mantra is my bumper sticker: grace happens.

    (LOVE stevie btw.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could do with some cupcakes. My parents are here and we all feel like eating cakes, having flaked out on the sofas. They're tired after driving down from Scotland and we're tired after work.

    Nice idea to have an office party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think I'll go bake some cupcakes and share them with my campers. I love baseball, but the baseball I long to sit in the sun and watch is little league with my grandson. He will be 14 next month and will be busy all summer with baseball. Miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of your cupcakes! I shall be making bread tomorrow I may have a go at making cupcakes too.

    Have a happy Easter, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your post today. I can taste those colorful little cupcakes! And all the little things that you are grateful for - Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe..the world you talk about is sooo unlike mine.Guess it is because of the age and lifestyle.It's interesting to read about working people who enjoy their personal lives just as much.
    Thanks for setting a great example.^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way..thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comment.It means a lot.Really.

    Warm regards
    Deboshree

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a pretty wonderful party (and blue monkey). And, while we are at it, office and boss.

    I'm having my own split ends cut out on Tuesday....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have one of the purple cupcakes. Sounds yum! Enjoyed your post to your husband too. Wow, gave me a lot to think about the way you described love.

    ReplyDelete