My office is empty today, other than me and my space heater. Everyone's out of town. I've got my xm radio playing on my computer. I really like the Sinatra channel. Growing up I spent a lot of time at my maternal grandparents house, and they both loved old movies. My grandmother would put on a Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin flick and we'd laugh and sing along. Or we'd marvel at Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers floating across the dance floor. As I got older, she'd let me watch Audrey Hepburn movies, like Funny Face, and my absolute favorite, My Fair Lady. I married a man who loves old movies too, especially Cary Grant movies, so on lazy Sundays we end up watching AMC and Turner Classic more often than not.
We got into a discussion one day about our five dessert island movies, i.e. you're stranded (ala Lost, which comes on tonight, yay) but for some reason there's a tv and you get to take five movies with you. This is not a favorite movie list, although it's close. But these movies have to be something you could watch over and over, and you want to pick from different genres so you don't get bored. This was a Very Serious Discussion we had. Mine were, in no particular order:
1) Amelie
2) My Fair Lady
3) The Princess Bride
4) Love Actually
5) all seasons of Lost... which promptly started an argument over whether that counted as just one, and if tv shows counted anyway. We settled that it was ok, as my husband likes Lost too, plus I gave in and let him count The Lord of the Rings trilogy as one movie, even though I can't stand the idea of watching that the rest of my life. His others included North by Northwest, Fight Club, Boondock Saints, and the Godfather I believe.
Music would be easier to pick. I love Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Otherwise, just a subscription to xm radio and the Sinatra channel would suit me quite well. We could pretend to be Fred and Ginger and go gliding across the sand. That sounds like a really nice way to spend forever.
I just hope you have power on your island otherwise all your arguing would have been of nothing...lol
ReplyDeleteAnnie