Tuesday, September 22, 2009

who am I this year?

I need help. I have a problem, and so far none of my friends or my husband have been able to offer a solution. They have tried, offered advice, creatively tried to solve my quandary, texting and calling even at late night hours with answers thought up in their dreams or brainstormed over a snack. But so far, no one has been able to put an end to my worries, and the deadline approaches rapidly.

What should I be for Halloween?

My husband and I agree that Halloween is the best holiday ever invented. We met on Halloween, him in pleather pants and eyeliner, me in tall boots and spikey hair. On what other day of the year can you let your imagination run wild and be whomever you want to be, even if that person is a wild thing, a criminal, completely outside the norm of society, all without any consequences or repercussions from your foray into the jungle of the unknown?

Last year we were Amish. Yes, Amish, as in a long dress, no makeup, and a head covering and apron for me, and black pants, suspenders, and fake beard for my husband. People gasped when they saw us. Walking around town that night, going from bar to bar, we got the most varied reactions, from hysterical laughter to blank stares. One girl looked up at us from her bench, cigarette between her purple-gloved fingers, her mouth open in awe and confusion as we passed, finally screaming "Oh, you're Amish!" as we turned the corner out of sight.
The year before that we were Bonnie and Clyde. I love a fake gun, especially a fake Tommy gun, which is odd for someone who'd rather all guns be outlawed (somehow). I was sexy and dark in my black pencil skirt, high heels and beret while my husband was bad-boy handsome in his pinstriped suit with a narrow tie and fadora. We spent the night fake-shooting each other and talking about escaping the "coppers" with our loot.
But this year, this year I just don't know. Two of my friends are going as Mario and Luigi (which is funnier because one is a girl). Another couple will be Jeff (I think that's his name) and the dog from Blue's Clues. Husband and I like to match but I suppose we don't have to.

So I'm asking you, my creative and worldly readers and friends, help me! I only have a month left to get costumes together-- I need an idea, quick!

13 comments:

  1. Go as Helena Bonham-Carter's character in The Nightmare Before Christas.

    It's sort of traditional, but in a modern way.

    Call me old fashioned, but I always think the whole ghosts and ghoulies thing is best when you're looking at Hallowe'en.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the Amish thing is awesome!

    The first (valid) thing that popped into my mind was Pink and Carey Hart. Then you can be wild and sexy, intermittently arguing and making out through the night. How fun to act out! (Better you than me.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple of years ago I saw a couple go as Peace and Quiet. One was a hippie, the other a mime.
    Have you tried surfing some of the Halloween Costume sites for ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dress up in 1920s style with art deco jewelry, sparkly headband etc and be Agatha Christie. Your hubby could be Hercule Poirot and stick a nice little waxy curled moustache on.

    Not much help, am I. But nothing unusual in that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made my ex boyfriend dress up as a beer pong table once. It was the best costume ever- because we made it ourselves. I'm in the same dilemma this year. I have no idea what to be! I am leaving towards a thundercat but am not sure...

    Have you ever seen A Christmas Story? My friend and his wife dressed as teh leg lamp and Ralphy in the bunny suit. Pure awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dog the Bounty Hunter and his wife...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first thought would be to go as when you guys first met...not really any creative things Devil and angel? Drags? (that's fun) You a man, he a woman... thug and tramp it up as maybe your his pimp... no clue, but definately post some of those creative pics when all said and done! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wish I could help with this but I have my own dilema for my brother's 50th birthday next month. Ghaaa I'm not creative! But I'm thinking a hippie. I have a tie-dyed dress, some beads....

    I like Trish's suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey...

    Sounds u guys have a blast on Halloween, i wish there were a 'dressing up' festival in India such as this!
    Dont know much about this holiday and how ur supposed to choose ur costumes.. but over the years have read loads of books that have halloween featuring in there... so... how abt Hansel and Gretel? Scarlet and Rhett Butler? Napoleon and Cleopatra? Laurel and Hardy? Archie and Betty?
    I hope these dont come across as wierd. Just thinking off the rack.....

    Have fun!

    Cheers,
    vrinda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for the ideas! I really like the peace and quiet thing, so creative. The leg lamp and bunny suit are great too. And I'm trying so hard to convince my husband's muscly and blond friend to be Dog the Bounty hunter, he's perfect for it. Devoted, for not having Halloween you've got some great ideas too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so cute! I am no help at all. How about Bonnie and Clyde? Morticia and and her guy from The Adam's Family? Marylin Monroe and Joe DiMaggio? Jane and Tarzan? Batman and Cat Women? Most all of these suggestions from my son who I asked to name famous couples :).

    ReplyDelete