Actually, although monsoon season apparently started here last weekend and has yet to let up, I am enjoying the rain today.
Rainy Sunday, a full belly, Bub by my side, husband snoring softly on his couch, and David Attenborough nature documentaries on tv... doesn't get much better than that.
Emily is fine now. I called our boss yesterday and told him to call her. I felt like a tattle-tale, but I couldn't stand to see her give up her job, running away with her tail between her legs, just because she was afraid of having an uncomfortable conversation with him. I think she was put out with me at first, but we're back to normal, and I think she's going to be moving into the marketing department, which is where she belonged from the beginning. And they're going to work out a spring schedule so she can go back to school at the same time. The best of all worlds.
I'm writing interview questions for an executive assistant candidate I'll be interviewing tomorrow. I wouldn't want to answer these:
What do you perceive as the worst part in your present/last job?
Tell me about a time when you had to stretch the truth for your boss? How did that make you feel?
If your boss called you with an idea or a request at 11 pm at night, how would you feel and what would you do?
But those are the qualities we need. I need someone who can get in his face and make him do what he's supposed to do. I'm too laid back, and frankly too busy with my own work, for that anymore.
My parents were here this weekend, came up to watch the football game at theirs and my alma mater. We won, thank goodness. They left me half a caramel cake they brought for a cookout they had with friends, and it's calling my name even though my stomach is swirling with tuna salad and broccoli cheese soup. I'll give it another hour. Maybe I'll just have cake for dinner.
I take that back about today not getting much better. I think cake for dinner would definitely make it better.
My eyes are starting to droop too. I was trying to take advantage of my husband's nap and get some work done without getting that "ugh, you're working on Sunday instead of paying attention to me" stare from him, but David's voice and the pitter-pattering of rain are working their magical wonder and putting me to sleep. Nap time.
Mmm - cake for dinner sounds yummy! I'm trying to talk hubby into Mexican food - but cake sounds like a winner too.
ReplyDeleteHere are my answers to your questions:
My current job is mind-numbingly boring. I do actual "work" for about an hour (or less) a day on average. I bring a book to work & keep up with blogs. The good part is that I'm paid very well to sit on my bum - but once we've paid down some debt I'll be looking for something more challenging. Like the job you guys have, actually!
Friday my boss told me to tell someone he was unavailable just because he didn't want to talk to him. I said, but that means I have to talk to him! It was ok - that's the least of white lies in the corporate world. Otherwise, this particular boss doesn't tax my moral code very much (except that we argue politics, but that's a different thing entirely).
If he called me at 11:00 pm I would be astonished - it would show GREAT determination & desperation for him to even figure out what my number is. Because of that I might not say no - although I live 45 minutes away so it would be a bit of an inconvenience. However, I'm currently nonexempt, so it's not likely that my company would be asking me to work overtime anytime soon. But in the spirit of the intent of your question - it would have to be quite an emergency before I'd agree to do something that late at night. Call me before 10 & I'm your woman LOL.
Well, glad to hear that Emily has got over her resigning desires. Poor lass, good she has you on her side.
ReplyDeleteYour interview questions! My answer would be just two words: Get Lost.
Sorry, don't mean to be rude but they're asking a heck of a lot of an employee. And another thing, if I were desperate for this job I'd simply lie. I'd smile and say to Q1: There was no worst part. Loved it all, but need to be more stretched now.
Q2: I've never felt it necessary other than to be brutally frank in all my dealings and work with my boss. Embellishing the truth is just not worth the cost to my conscience.
Q3: I've always been ready willing and able to deal with ideas at any time, 24/7 - and that's what makes a job so exciting for me.
When do I start?
[:-}
That sounds like a peaceful and lovely day. Except those questions, yowch! They're great, I'll give you that. I hope your interviewee passes. *thumbs up*
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that this is a small town and that they tend to pay lip service to the whole interview process.....
ReplyDeleteMind you, small towns have their drawbacks. Not many vacancies floating around right now...