My childhood is slipping away from me. Michael Jackson died-- for a child of the 1980s, this is like losing an old friend, one that inspired and intrigued and educated. But it's distant. I never saw him in person so there's no true grief there, no grief for losing him as a real person, just for the small hole I feel in my own life, the loss of a bit of my history, completely separate from the media blitz.
My first childhood pet, Maxie, died when I was 17. She was an extremely intelligent miniature schnauzer, gray with black around her eyes, wise beyond her species. She was supposed to be my older brother's dog, but she chose me instead. I remember my father burying her in the backyard. It was a new house, still smelled of paint-- my parents were downsizing since I was off to college soon. Early spring, still frosty outside at night, and it was cold that day. The ground must have been hard. My mother was cooking spaghetti, but she was burning something because I remember watching him out the back door, near the kitchen, plugging my nose between wiping my eyes. He wouldn't let me help, and I know it's because he didn't want me to see him cry. Neither of my brothers were there. She was 14 and had had a stroke.
Our second family dog, Sam, a black lab the vet nicknamed "Racetrack" because of her love of running circles when let loose, is on her last leg. She's also 14. The gray around her muzzle still forms a smile when I visit, but she's slower and slower in making it to my side.
Of course my great-grandmother is gone, and my grandfather, and my grandmother hardly knows me anymore. There are no more family Christmases. This and this alone now makes me want children.
Family is critical. Without it, how do we know who we are? Or who we aren't?
We select our own family as we get older, but we lose the one into which we were born, slowly but surely, piece by piece, no choice in the matter.
I don't want to be sad tonight. In fact, I'm not sad. There's no point in being sad about inevitabilities.
What I do feel is hungry. I snacked all day while watching college football and never had a proper meal. I'm a proper meal kind of girl. And I'm already exhausted by this upcoming trip though I haven't packed yet. I have to work for a few hours tomorrow while my husband is at home restaining a new table for our foyer. We're making this house a home, making a life here. We're putting our mark on it, on this life, so that someone somewhere will know we were here, that someone was here that cared, even after all we remember and all we know is gone.
Sounds like you might be taking stock of life and reevaluating what you want in the years to come. Hope you have a good week ahead.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to respond to your comment on my blog--GO TO BOUCHON--it is so worth it.
ReplyDeleteThe sommeliers are knowledgable, respectful and user friendly. The first time I went there with Brian, we met Paul and instead of upselling us to a more expensive bottle of wine, he downsold us which in turn helped us drink 2 bottles of wine. I was impressed with his salesmanship. I look for him when I visit Bouchon.
Plus, the food is awesome and reasonably priced. I love the chicken, pomme frites and foie; although, it is super rich and not much is needed.
I am so jealous! Have a wonderful time.
Also, I agree with the loss of MJ. I was so sad that night. It rained in Denver and I felt like I had lost my childhood.
Anyways, have a wonderful time in Vegas.
extremly nostalgic, i like how you word it with the fact the the people who brought us in are eventually gone and we are left with what we created ourselves....the wheels keep turning, don't they? and what is it that we will leave behind? excellent note, although profoundly saddening at the same time.
ReplyDeleteReally liked this.....
ReplyDeleteI think these kinds of thoughts are important. And I think we can't know who we are without our family. Not as in-depth, anyway.
ReplyDeleteYou say you are not feeling sad. You made me a tad sad. Families come, and then they go. I am the only remaining one and although my only son still bears the family name he has a daughter and no son. My younger daughter has a lovely young son, Jake, but he takes his Dad's name in life of course. Not that any of this matters one jot nor tittle in the way of things, it just seems a bit sad to me.
ReplyDeleteHaving raised a son and two daughters myself I can say that this seems to me to be the sole reason for being. Having a family is expensive, and not just in terms of money, but it is the only real reason for our existence. I hope you eventually are blessed with a child. Or two!
But I forgot to add: I loved your post today. It touched me and others I would guess.
ReplyDeleteThis was such a moving post. The part about your dad really got to me.
ReplyDeletewatching things slip away makes us thing of what we leave behind...our legacy in the live of our family...wonderful post. have a great trip.
ReplyDeleteYou are sounding very nostolgic. I hope your week in Vegas is a pleasant one. It will take your mind of things, that's for sure.
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to tell you how insightful you are about life. I fell in love with what you said:
ReplyDelete"family is critical. Without it, how do we know who we are? Or who we aren't? We select our own family as we get older, but we lose the one into which we were born, slowly but surely, piece by piece, no choice in the matter."
I come from a very critical household and just a year ago I moved out and slowly I see I'm loosing the family I was born in, not because I want it to happen but because I'm tired of feeling misunderstood. Your writing conveys every emotion of uncertainity, loss and yet I felt a lot of strength coming from you; and although I don't know you I feel like I can understand you... ;)
I love your writing! I hope you relax and have a great time in Vegas.