Monday, September 28, 2009

like paper in the wind

Life has been all about change lately. Changing titles, changing offices, changing friends, changing seasons.

In the past, whenever I made a big life-changing decision, like when I transferred colleges, or when I broke up with the first long-time boyfriend, or when I moved to London, I would also change something dramatically about my appearance. When I transferred schools I started dressing differently, switching my colorful cardigans for black and red and vintage. I broke up with my long hair too when I ditched the boy, cutting off ten inches and then dying it from red to black. For London I had grown my hair out again and stopped wearing heels. (I still don't understand how women can wear heels on wet cobblestone streets without sliding and falling every other step.)

This time around, I suppose because there's so much change happening at once, I haven't altered myself physically in any way. I want to keep my hair long-- my husband likes it, and it gives me something to pull when I'm stressed out. My clothes and shoes are basically the same as they have been, although I suppose I've slowly but surely been sneaking in more pencil skirts and higher heels.

I don't like change. Change is a big part of my work and the industry I'm in, but in my personal life I don't like it. It's not that I'm stuck or that I'm afraid. I just really like the way things are, and I like to be in control. That's what it really is, right there, that I don't feel like I'm in control of my own life on days like today.

That's all life really is though, a series of changes, of small and larger occurrences in our life that lead us to change ourselves, alter our thought pattern, move away, stop talking to or start talking to someone, all these seemingly tiny decisions that one by one add up to a lifetime of changes.

For instance, if I had decided to let my orthodontist do what he wanted to my lower jaw and break and reset it (I have an overbite, but geez) my junior year of high school, I would have never gone to Europe on my senior trip that summer which means I would have never started dating my first boyfriend. If I hadn't been dating that first boyfriend when I went to college a year later, I would have chosen a different school perhaps, and then a year after that I never would have thought of transferring. We chose the new school together, where I eventually met the new boyfriend, who became the husband. There are lots of tiny choices in there too that affected the whole progression.

It's a butterfly effect, in a way, but it's all generated by me, by my choices, not just some random occurence, not really. I don't know that I believe in randomness, in haphazard chance, but I don't know that I believe in fate either.

I do know that the more things change in my life, the more I cling to the things that matter most to me, the things that I want to be the most unchanging, like my relationship with my husband and my family, and my internal voice. I don't want anything, random or planned, big or small, to alter those.

4 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. Some changes I'm ready for, because we have been waiting a while for them. My husband's new job, our new home. But I don't want my relationship with him to change &, really, I don't want to change my own self.

    I definitely relate to your tale of choices. If I hadn't decided to go to a small Baptist college because I wanted the intimacy & personal attention, where I heard about a 2 year mission program, I wouldn't have gone to Zambia as part of that mission program, & I wouldn't have decided to go to seminary when I got home because I didn't know what else I wanted to do, & I wouldn't have met my husband there. He went to a rival high school, but was 4 1/2 years older - I would never have met him if I hadn't gone to school 3 hours from home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, changes. The more things change, the more they remain the same.... I must be getting old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I empathise entirely with your thoughts.

    Changes now tend to unsettle me; even small changes. I think this is because my life thus far has seen too many changes.

    Most have been self-inflicted, so to speak. When things seemed to much for me I moved on. Changed jobs; changed where I lived; changed just to get away!

    The results of all the changes made have, by luck, worked out OK. This was definitely pure luck, whatever that is.

    Nothing was ever really planned. Looking back it would have probably been better NOT to have made some of those changes, but that's of no real consequence: can't change the past - which is, in some instances, a great pity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If change serves no other purpose than to reaffirm how much the things you value matter, maybe it's a good thing.

    Still painful at times but I guess I'm on the hunt for a silver lining.

    ReplyDelete