"Your 10:30 is here," she chimed as she swung her head around the door frame, flashing a smile half hidden by her mousy brown hair, and disappeared just as quickly, tapping back to her desk.
I pushed myself up in my brown pleather chair, reaching my hands toward the drop panel ceiling, trying to get some blood flowing back from where it had pooled in my fingertips and my butt to my brain. I stood and stretched out my legs and used my toes to slide my heels out from under my desk. Slipping them on as I walked out the door, I turned the corner to see my 10:30.
He was short, I noticed right away, and there were hints of tattoos peeping out from under the short sleeves of his slightly ragged navy blue polo. His baggy khaki pants only mostly covered his muddy boots. As I reached out to shake his hand, I noticed the wallet chain swinging from his pocket.
"Tom? I'm Sarah. Nice to meet you. Come on back."
He followed me up the hall and into my office where I gestured towards the seat he should take and shut the door. I introduced our company to him, our policies and beliefs and schedules, while he sat like a child hunched over on the small black office chair, the one no one wanted, nodding politely as I spoke.
"So now that you know about us, tell me about yourself."
"Well, what do you mean? What do you want to know?"
That's never a good sign, when someone hasn't rehearsed the easiest of all interview questions, the gimme. I explain I just want to know a little more about him, the stuff he didn't put on his resume. He speaks for about two minutes, in a gruff, low voice, never quite meeting my line of sight. He tells me about growing up in Illinois, how he met his wife while he was in the Navy, and she was from here, how they hadn't left even though he hadn't been able to find a job after getting laid off. He stopped short there, as if he was reluctant to go any further. I know why, I know how job searches are going lately.
I proceed with my interrogation, questions ranging from the leading and easy to the head-scratchers and sweat-inducers. He does fine for the most part, but he stumbles a few too many times, and I don't see us hiring him.
As I escort him to the door with promises to call soon, I already know that call will not be a pleasant one for either of us. I keep a smile on my face though-- no need to kill his hope now, although it seems as if he already knows too.
"Well, I hope you keep me in mind for this position. I know I'm not the most qualified, but I'm willing to learn."
I assure him I will and wave goodbye. If only it were that easy; I'd hire everyone.
I don't envy your position. There are times when it must be far easier to be the lowest man on the totem pole.
ReplyDeleteA lovely description, though.
I found you through Mr.London Street and like what I see so I will be back again.
ReplyDeleteI'm with the commenter above; I don't envy you your job when it comes to this. It did, however, transfer to story very well.
ReplyDeleteThat is never an easy position to be in... I do not envy you at all. I hope you can find some peace of mind in the candidate that you DO choose :)
ReplyDeleteI guess interviews aren't easy for anyone involved sometimes?
ReplyDeleteI really love this post because it sensitively portrays the side of that awful business of interviews we rarely see - the other side of the desk. The side that must pore though and size up resumes and human beings. NOT an easy task. Daunting. Difficult. My hat is off to you because it's obvious that you really care. Not just for the brilliant superstars, but for the awkward underdogs.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry, but had I been interviewing anybody presenting themselves as poorly as this chap would have led me to ask: "Do you really want this job?"
ReplyDeleteYour description of his appearance would have sealed his fate almost immediately in my mind. You have less than two minutes to make a first impression and from what you've portrayed here he blew it in 30 seconds flat!
You don't get a second chance at first impressions, not with me anyway.
its tough on both sides of the fence...so tough.
ReplyDeleteAnd I on the other hand am such a pushover for a line that I probably would have hired him on the spot based on the one statement that he is "willing to learn". I think too many people try to BS us into thinking they "know it all" and is a little refreshing when someone admits that they don't. Love all your writings. Peace to you, Mollye
ReplyDelete