Sunday, January 17, 2010

no rest for the weary


I'm going to Miami at 5:30 in the morning for a conference. I'll be back Thursday night. The boss is mostly just bringing me along for fun-- I'm lucky in that I don't have to go to the Detroits or the St. Louis's or the Nashvilles, the places with little to do after the show closes. I can pick the couple I want to go to every year. Last year it was Vegas, this year Miami and probably Albuquerque in the fall. I've never been to Miami so I'm excited about that.

I'm not excited about the traveling. I hate to fly. I don't actually mind the physical act of taking off, cruising, or landing. It's the anticipation of having to be somewhere at an exact time, of checking in, of going through security, waiting and waiting, finding a cab, etc. It's too much work.

But after the week I had, I'm looking forward to being out of the office for a while. The leadership committee came to a very tough decision to fire one of our higher-paid employees. He'd been with us for about 6 months, and although he hadn't really done anything wrong, he hadn't done anything right either, and that department is going through a restructure. After spinning in circles, mostly because the boss is nice to a fault, we voted and the majority (all but the boss) was for firing. A clean break. I dreaded it all night Thursday as it's my responsibility to both hire and fire. But the actual act, done on Friday afternoon, wasn't that bad. It was quick, like ripping off a bandaid.

He told me he had been expecting it for a while. I don't understand this. If you're making that much money a year, why wouldn't you fight for your job? If you felt yourself on the edge, why wouldn't you show up every day half an hour early and leave every day an hour late, ask anyone and everyone for work to do, and find a way to make yourself indispensable? He didn't-- he rolled over and died months ago, sitting at his desk doing nothing, not showing up for extra trainings. It's odd.

So you won't hear from me again until Thursday, not that I've been posting a lot anyway. There's been no free time for me. No rest. Maybe I'll get some sleep on the plane.

6 comments:

  1. Considering the state of the economy, you have to wonder why someone wouldn't fight for their job. If he was earning a lot of money, you would think that he would know how, but maybe things have always come easy to him. I'm glad that it was not unnecessarily stressful for you. I would not like being the person who does the hiring and firing. Enjoy your time away.

    ~ Just Joany
    Red Wagon Flights

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet he only stayed as long as he did BECAUSE he was making a lot of money. He probably felt suffocated & wanted out, but didn't think he could do anything about it because he couldn't replace that income. You took the choice away from him & he was glad.

    Does it sound like I'm projecting? Because I am - although my current boss loves the work I do for him & does NOT want me to go away, I feel bored & unmotivated in my current job. But there's no way I can replace what I'm being paid right now so I just go along with it. If they closed our office & laid me off I'd be relieved (no way I'll be fired for performance).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the conference was fun. I never get to go anywhere so exciting! Pity about the sacking, never had to do it, but maybe he'd just given up the fight sometime ago for reasons we'd never know. Not everyone is a fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you enjoy Miami. Don't get hooked by any crooks; I seem to think Miami is a bad place, beloved by drug barons and criminals. Is this just media hype, or is it true?

    I seem to recall you had to interview a new chap some months ago and your description of him was that he was a bit, err, untidy looking; not really geared up for a job interview. Was this the same guy to whom you gave the bullet just recently?

    He sounds as though he wasn't really bothered whether he stayed or went. I've felt like that in one or two of my past employments, many moons ago. Easygoing type of attitude. I've never been unemployed, despite my somewhat laid back attitude at times.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound a little like he either expected it, wanted it, or was just plain depressed.

    Have a safe trip, and maybe some fun while you're at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a good time! Glad that your undesirable chore went well!

    ReplyDelete