Thursday, January 7, 2010

Grateful Thursday

I meant to post several times this week. I had important things to say, I'm sure, but somehow they skipped out of my brain, running for their life as all these work thoughts came pouring in, like a flood. Cat 3 water loss. If you worked here you'd know what that meant.

We've been so busy. We sold our product to a franchise, and January 4th marked the first franchisee to roll-out with us. We're adding two a day now. I don't have much to do with that side, but I've been trying to hire some help for them since they're so snowed under back there. I've had two candidates not show up for their interview. Two. In a row. How does that happen? How do I have a pleasant phone conversation with someone, offer them an interview, schedule it, and then at the scheduled time sit here looking at my door wondering where the heck they are? Twice?

But I do have a lot to be grateful for this week. So here goes...




1) I'm choosing to be thankful for the cold. And when I say cold, I mean freeze the hair in your nose cold, curl your toes cold, frost your eyelashes cold, turn your fingernails blue cold. 18 degrees when I got to work this morning. We are not used to that here, not in the least, and the snow? You'd think the world was ending. But if nothing else, the cold reminds me how much I appreciate warmth. And summer.


My deck this morning. Bub was not a happy camper.


2) Growth. I was angry Tuesday morning, angry about something my boss did the night before, angry that I wasn't given more respect in a certain situation at work. As I was getting ready to come in, blow drying my hair and getting dressed, all I could think about was what exactly I was going to say to him as soon as I got the chance. But I had a thought: let me put myself in his shoes. So I tried them on. They didn't fit at first, and I was uncomfortable, squirming around trying to see myself and the situation from the other side. Once I did though, once I came to terms with what I could have done better, once I saw that he never meant harm, not really, by what he did, I decided I was going to be helpful, not angry, positive, not negative. I went to him when I got to work and told him my ideas for improving the situation, and he agreed and I could see a weight was lifted from him. A few years ago, even a year ago, that wouldn't have happened. I either would have boiled over it or blown my top, but something has happened to me over the past year to give me this new perspective on life. Wish I could put my finger on exactly what it was.

3) Basketball games. I got to go to a college game Tuesday night, and we won! It was exciting, especially for me because basketball is my game. I played in high school, know all the rules, and get so into the games I hardly notice that I'm jumping up and down or yelling or whooping. It was a fun night.

7 comments:

  1. Growing pains at work and growth in you..... All is well in your world! It is cold here, too. Wind chill is a killer when I go out to gather wood. Tv is warning about frostbite and telling us not to go out with exposed skin! No problem here, I have so many layers on I can barely move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. definate things to be thankful for...is it summer yet....? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a balmy 14 where I am at...still, I committed to an afternoon run. I might look like the Michelin Man, but I am game!
    I love basketball, too. I went to KU and so this season has been fantastic so far. I cannot wait to see the UT/KU game on February 8th--it should be magical.
    I also look forward to summer. I miss being able to run on dry sidewalks or in the park without fear of slipping on the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate with the weather... I just wish I could find a way to be thankful for it. I guess I could say that I'm thankful to have a warm house and cozy bed to snuggle into at night, instead of being like the countless homeless across the nation that are freezing with no where to go to get warm. Yes - I'm so very thankful for that.

    And, as a fellow southerner, trust me when I say that I, like you, are NOT used to this weather. 18? I think those numbers are reversed - 81 is much more comfortable!

    AND, sorry for the long comment, but WAY to go with the situation at work. You handled it like a pro :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's 23 here & has been snowing all day. I left work an hour early so I could get home before dark. And I have to say, there were so few cars on the road that I really enjoyed it! I actually STOPPED in the middle of the road to take some pictures.

    I used to work in HR (benefits, not hiring) & we often had people not show up for interviews, or show up for training, or show up for their job after training... Of course it could be our industry (collections - boo hiss!). I wouldn't show up for an interview here either LOL.

    My whole working career I've tried to learn how to STOP and think before opening my mouth. Some times are more successful than others. Good for you for growing in that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i love college basketball...have not got the chance to take in a game yet. freeze your nose hairs cold is pretty cold...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you on #2! When we know better, we do better :).

    ReplyDelete