I'm so fed-up today, so frustrated. The boss tells me I should be the bigger person, I should start the conversation with rude woman. That it was all just a miscommunication, she thought I meant something I didn't mean, I thought she was saying something she wasn't saying. Fine, got it, I fully recognize and take responsibility for my part in that. I did not, however, blow up, send a nasty email, and then never try to apologize for it. I have never and would never do that, not to the degree she did.
This is not to say I don't get mad. That same day I raised my voice to an employee who screwed something up, but I never ventured into personal territory, I never insulted him, and a few moments after raising my voice I returned and apologized for my manner. We laughed about it. And that's the way it should be-- we're all going to get fed up and frustrated from time to time, but her reaction was WAY out of line, and her lack of an apology is just as bad.
All I get are excuses from the boss. She was tired, she was stressed out, she was trying to protect a fellow worker (who is a gay man) because he was stressed out, and she feels a natural tendency to protect men like him. BLAH BLAH BLAH. I've worked hard for this company for two years, killing myself, stressing myself out, because I believe in what we're doing and I believe in our people. She's been around a few months and she thinks she gets to talk to me about stress? About staying up all night working? She thinks her relationship with our boss is more important than mine?
He says she feels like we don't respect her, that we don't take her seriously. What does he expect when we've never seen her resume, know nothing about her, and she gets dropped on us to manage, makes more money than most of us, and the first thing she produces for us is crap. Crap. So he gives her a different project. Now this one she is running with, she's good at this. But ultimately we don't totally trust her, and I certainly don't trust her professionalism (who writes 'hahahahhaaha" all the way across the line of an email to a client, anyway?), plus the part of the project that led to the blow up was about money, and that's my domain around here. She wants to spend our money, I'm going to prod and ask questions. It's my job. We're broke.
So we're all feeling a little like he's brought her in because she's his friend, she lost her job, and now he's paying her more than the rest of us, and her output is questionable. Then she insults me. I'm just at a total loss as to how I'm supposed to find my way to being the "bigger person" here.
Don't get me wrong, I love my boss. He's the best boss I've ever had and probably ever will. But he's fallible, and I think this whole thing was a mistake. I just have to get him to see it, and I don't know how.
I go back and forth. One minute I think, "I have got to let this go. I will let this go." And I feel better. Then I think, "No one talks to me that way. As much as my grandfather told me that nothing worth doing was easy, he also would never have let anyone talk to him that way." And I want to have a very frank conversation with my boss.
I know you're all sick of hearing about this. I'm really struggling here, though. I'm trying to get it out of my head. I worked myself up to tears this morning thinking about it. She's not just going to go away after a week-- he's talking about keeping her on full time. I'm so frustrated.
I am all about being the bigger person in situations like this. But there is a point in which too much is just too much. It seems like you have a good relationship with your boss, maybe it's time to talk to him about this? I'm sure he wouldn't want his #1 (YOU) upset and frustrated when he's relying on you to keep things running around there.
ReplyDeleteOn a personal note- I think this whole situation speaks to your character, and at this point, you are definitely the bigger person. HUGE. I know it's not easy, and I definitely respect you for holding out on this woman for so long. :)
Feel free to vent here. It is what it's for.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds as though you do have a good relationship with your boss. It's important, though, that you be able to disagree with him. There is a difference between being the bigger person and being a doormat. I am certain that you will find a way to handle this situation in a way that you can live with. Perhaps if you lay out the facts for him the way you've done here? And tell him that his defense of this woman is a criticism of the rest of the team and their contribution. Obviously this is causing a huge morale problem. That's the last thing the company needs if ya'll are struggling to keep afloat as is.
Good luck. And maybe the Christmas break will give you a little breathing room.
Thanks for your replies-- words of wisdom in both!
ReplyDeleteI took all of this to my boss this morning. I'm not sure that it ultimately made any difference, but I feel better at least, and he knows where I stand. He told me that he wants me to start a conversation with her, but that I should insist on an apology because I am right, what she did was wrong. So that was nice to hear. He wants us to form a friendship because he thinks together we could be powerful. It's going to be a hard thing for me to do, now, but I suppose I'll try, if for no other reason just to say that I tried.
I told him why we don't respect her, and he agrees he introduced her to us wrong. He tried to defend himself and say "but I sent an email about her," but my raised eyebrow quieted that pretty quickly. We all know one email does not pass for proper communication channels about something that big.
So I don't feel as frustrated now. Now I feel apprehensive about having to talk to her. Especially when I'm feeling like I'd rather just punch her still.
I hope you find a way to resolve this. there is nothing worse than getting up everyday and dreading where/who you have to go and spend 8 hours with or doing.
ReplyDeleteIf you are really that miserable and it does not get better, you may want to consider looking somewhere else, for your own sanity
I am sorry you are dreading your job every day. I have done that before and I know how hard it is to suck it up and keep going. Maybe you could write the boss a letter. Just a thought. Hope things get better.
ReplyDelete