Tuesday, November 16, 2010

letting it go

I am letting and I have let it go. Everything, every cross word, every stressful moment, every nagging thought. I have returned to peace, and all I really had to do was ask myself to do it. Like a page flipped in my mind, like a wave of my hand, I've brushed it all aside, away, and out the door. It's not simply hidden under a rug or around a corner either. It's gone.

I can pinpoint the moment. Riding in the car on the way to dinner with my in-laws Saturday night, an email from work was really grating on me. Even thoughts not about that email were tinted by it, shaded with the negative light it had cast on my mind. "Why?" I thought. Why do I do this to myself? There was nothing I could do about it. Alone in the wild countryside of Illinois, staring into the dark trees and harvested fields, out of cell range, what could I do? Even if I had been in my office staring at these white walls and my computer screen, there would have been little I myself could do other than fret. And fretting solves absolutely nothing. So I stopped. I simply stopped. And somehow that realization-- that I am powerless to affect the ultimate course of these events, that no amount of worrying or stressing will solve a problem I can't solve, that most of the things I worry about never come to fruition anyway-- that thought released me.

I feel lighter. I feel lighter and more determined, determined to find a way past these problems toward solutions. I feel like the road blocks have come down and all that's in front of me is wide-open blacktop. I'm exercising more, complaining about it less. Eating healthier, drinking water. Concentrating at work. Putting away the phone at night, my mind on my husband and my family. Looking forward to time with friends and to the holidays. Being happier. I'm grateful again.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah Scarlet. So hard to do but so rewarding when you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. I am going to follow your lead. One foot in front of the other, but no fretting. It's the fretting that gets us, you're so right. I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is all about choice, good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. Remember that moment if you feel like faltering in your resolve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me SO happy to read that you've found your peace again. You're change in attitude reminds me of the lyrics of one of my favorite Sister Hazel songs:

    "If you want to be somebody else,
    If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself
    If you want to be somebody else
    Change your mind..."

    I hope this newly found feeling of peace and gratitude sticks around for a very long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate typos.. obviously where I typed "You're change in attitude..." should have said "YOUR change in attitude..." Uhg. Just wanted to correct myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful breakthrough for you. It sounds like you've found the path. Wishing you miles and miles of clarity and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you and good job working through those thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you, got a couple of nasty work emails myself in the middle of my son's school party...

    ReplyDelete